Wirning my pump, chorinator and heater question.

Jun 5, 2015
Brighton, MI
I just got my approval of my rough electrical. I have a Pentair IC40 chlorinator, a Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP Variable speed pump, and a Hayward H2500FD gas heater. I was going to wire all three of them to an on/off switch. So they all turn on and off together. Is this the correct way to do it? I saw it done this way on a different pool that was put in my sub at the end of fall last year. Any help would be appreciated.

So your saying I should have 3 20 AMP double pole GFI breakers in my panel?
If all three of the devices are 220v, then yes. But I think the Pentair IC40 chlorinator and the heater are probably both 110v products, so they would have single pole breakers. If both are standard plugs, they could both plug into a GFCI receptacle as long as together they don't draw more than the rating for the receptacle & breaker.

I have a 20 Amp double pole GFCI in my panel that I was going to wire all three to. The pump has a timer built into it. I was planning on wiring all three to a switch so if I need to, I could turn off all three quickly with the switch. All three are setup for 220 but the heater and chlorinator convert down to 110 internally. I've never seen a panel with 3, 20 amp double pole breakers for this application.

I do also have a 20 amp 110 breaker that's going to a GFCI outlet that will also power the pool light.

Re: Wiring my pump, chorinator and heater question.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by stwaller12
So your saying I should have 3 20 AMP double pole GFI breakers in my panel?

If all three of the devices are 220v, then yes. But I think the Pentair IC40 chlorinator and the heater are probably both 110v products, so they would have single pole breakers. If both are standard plugs, they could both plug into a GFCI receptacle as long as together they don't draw more than the rating for the receptacle & breaker.​

Most likely, your switch idea would be located at your equipment pad which is where your sub panel will be located, so I'm not sure why you could not just kill the power with flipping the breakers?? I don't think it's ever a good design to combine equipment using one breaker. The cost of breakers is not going to be a deal breaker and you'll have better power control with each of these key components on their own dedicated loop. In addition, trouble shoot/repairs will be an issue if you have everything on one system. Just my thoughts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.