Pool Store Testing

Apr 26, 2015
Leesburg, GA
I prefer to do my own testing per advise on this forum. There are many benefits to that and I'll summarize some of them.

(1) I have confidence my results are accurate.
(2) I don't have to drive to the pool store.
(3) I don't have to endure the store clerk trying to sell me expensive chemicals that I don't need.
(4) I don't feel obligated to purchase at least "something" from them in return for the "free" testing they have performed for me.

This empowers me to save a lot of $$$ maintaining my pool and to keep the water sparkling at all times. I'm a happy camper...

In defense of my local "L" store, I've noticed they use the same Taylor kit and reagents that I use. For comparative purposes I've allowed them to test my water a number of times since I got my test kit about two years ago and they have always gotten virtually the same results I got. The kicker against them is their recommendations for chlorination and dealing with algae are much more costly than is necessary.

I understand and am always suspicious. However, I am standing at the counter while they do the test right in front of me on the other side of the counter. I see them use the same plastic device that came in my K-2006 kit, the one with the large and small tubes and ph color squares in the center. I watch them put in the powder, swirl it around and count the drops of R-0871 as it turns from pink to clear. I watch them rinse out the tube and put in the five red drops, invert and then match against the color squares. I watch them do the TA test, exactly like I do it. I watch them do all the various tests, some of which I rarely do because I know some things don't change much unless a significant amount of water has been replaced.

Maybe my "L" store is the exception.

There are two clerks who work there. One is friendlier than the other and does not try too hard to push product on me. The other clerk never smiles and always tries too hard to push product on me. I know their job is to sell product but the more pushy clerk makes me hesitate to even go in the store as I don't like to be made to feel uncomfortable with overly aggressive sales tactics.

On another note, when I told the nicer clerk I had replaced my Intex AGP and was using liquid chlorine rather than a SWG she smiled and said "smart decision."

On another occasion, when I told the "pushy" clerk I was using Clorox liquid bleach she told me that was not good because that would introduce a lot of metals into my water. She then tried to sell me the bags of powdered chlorination product. I told her thanks but I would have to research that before I made a decision to use the powdered product.

Be aware, that its unheard of for them to carry the FAS DPD reagents for FC, and they usually have and say the K2005 is the same kit, but it is not.

What I meant was replacement reagents and kits for sale, but our stores here don't use FAS/DPD either. I could easily be mistaken, but I don't remember hearing about them using it before. Interesting that yours does.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.