Chlorination Question

Hi all, this is my third year doing TFP method! Great success, before I was honestly thinking of having my calls and mail forwarded to the pool store. Think I spent more time there than at home. Anyway, my pool has been absolutely spectacular this year. But, it is not really getting used as much in the past. This morning when I went out to get my daily test sample for chlorine I noticed what looked like a couple of spots of algae growing. I am guessing it is in areas that do not get optimum water movement? My chlorine numbers have been right where they are supposed to be and I test for CC every day and it is always zero. If I had algae brewing wouldn't I notice some trouble brewing in my chlorine numbers? I brushed the algae right away, is there anything else I should be doing aside from keeping my chlorine numbers correct?

I've never measured CC in my pool regardless of algae. I really doubt your problem is water movement, as there will be some circulation which should prevent algae growth with sufficient chlorine in the water.

Are the spots green?

They were more yellow I would say than green. I have had huge algae problems before I have seen the green monster before, hence my migration to TFP. Could my stabilizer be higher than I realized when I tested and I actually have to bump chlorine up?

Could it be tree pollen rather than algae?

Where did you notice the spots? I am assuming it was on the liner? I am notorious for not brushing the walls, although now I started doing this weekly as It only takes like 5 minutes. This could help. Or did you notice spots in the water sample?

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you notice the spots? I am assuming it was on the liner. I am notorious for not brushing the walls, although now I started doing this weekly as It only takes like 5 minutes. This could help. Or did you notice spots in the water sample?

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you notice the spots? I am assuming it was on the liner. I am notorious for not brushing the walls, although now I started doing this weekly as It only takes like 5 minutes. This could help. Or did you notice spots in the water sample?

I had some algae a week ago in a TFP only pool that has been crystal clear for 3 years and is still crystal clear and CC has been 0 my entire SLAM. I had a dozen or so spots of fuzzy green algae. I bumped my FC up to be a little above target to be on the safe side. Also, I had a little sliminess behind the light and some algae in my pool cleaner, which is currently evicted.

I would raise your FC up a couple ppm to be on their safe side. It is fine to swim up to shock level for your CYA. We've been swimming in 20-28 FC with 70 CYA for over a week.

I bumped my free chlorine level a bit, I am treating the pool as the CYA is 40 although I believe it is actually lower. All my problems have disappeared since that. If the pump is off If I threw a book in the deep end of the pool you could read it, that's how clear it is. Love this Forum!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.