AGP - Very bumpy and leaking floor - Need Advice!

Jun 19, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I am looking for some expert advice here.

The person who set up my pool did a terrible job on the pool floor. They made sure the walls were perfectly level, but they did not put enough dirt inside, did not remove all of the rocks, tried to bury all straps, even in deep end, but not well. The obviously did not compact the ground either. In the weeks after the pool was full, I saw more and more wrinkles in the floor, and started to see the outlines of the metal straps across the floors, especially around the buttress free uprights. I also know there are at least some leaks I have not been able to find. The water slowly drains from the pool, I know what end of the pool the issues are in, but it is the deep end, where there are many big wrinkles. I am having trouble finding the leaks to repair them. For the summer, I have just had to fill it a little more often, but since winter, I have just let it sit, and it is about 6 inches under the return at this point. and the ground around the pool is still visibly wet.

If this were your pool, and the bottom was uneven, bumpy, had leaks, and you could see the straps sticking up across the bottom, what would you do?

Here are my options as I see them:

1) Leave it until spring, and just allow it to keep leaking slowly, then try to patch up whatever leaks I can find and hope that fixes it.

2) Drain the pool, rip out the liner, add dirt, level and compact, and put in a new liner.

3) Drain the pool, leave in the old liner, bring in dirt to level and compact the floor which would cause me to lose about 1-2 inches of depth. (I am thinking this would be easier than removing the old liner, and may provide more protection against future leaks.

If I have to manually drain the pool, would you suggest waiting until it is warmer?

2 things - 1) There are no real AGP companies in Las Vegas, so there is nobody I can go back to to fix this, the contracter screwed me over and dropped off the face of the earth. 2) Even if the seams are bad on the liner, I have been told it will not be covered under warranty because I put a deep end in the pool (not sure how true this is)

Any thoughts?

If you do go with total liner removal...I would go with sand and a liner pad...I have sand, and the bottom is pretty good...But I wish I had gone with a pad too. It will keep any rocks and roots from popping through when the pool settles...As far as the wrinkles go...when they put the liner in did they initially fill pool with about 3-5 thousand gallons and then start pulling liner into place, and one trick my pool guy showed is that he left a shop vac motor tucked inbetween the pool liner and the pool walls all night while the pool filled to about half way. This kept the liner pulled tight and allowed the weight of the water once it got to about half way to keep the liner nice and taut. This keeps it from sagging or stretching too much and creating wrinkles at the bottom...if you go with liner replacement I would do this as you fill.

Ok - so the leak, wherever it is seems to have gotten way worse. Water level falling over an inch a day on a 20x40 pool, yet there are no visible holes tears, or leaks. What was weird is for 2 months as soon as it dropped below the return it didn't drop at all, which made me think it was just leaking from there. I ignored the pool after that, and it built up some algae and funk, and then after brushing it and running the pool rover multiple times, thats when the water started dropping again....

So, I am going to officially drain the pool, There is no way I am getting in 40 degree water looking for a leak I can't see, and the chemical water is killing my trees and soaking my neighbors yard too

So the big question - should I keep the old liner in, smooth over the floor of it with sand, and then put a new liner over it, or do you think it is better to actually remove the liner and let the ground dry out? Obviously much less work involved if I leave it in, but I want to do what is best for the long term of the pool. I am thinking having that liner in, assuming I can find and [atch the holes, wpuld be an excellend shield against further leaking should there be one in the new liner. One more barrier between the pool floor and the ground.

What would you do? I don't want to have to do this again for a long time...

I'd refer you again to the link above. You should watch that. Now, if you are going fix or replace the liner, you need to see the condition of the flooring of the pool. You originally said it was lumpy, which suggests that the sand or vermiculite bottom was not smoothed properly. Putting a new liner in over the old one will not solve that problem.

Good luck! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.