Is the TF 100 essential

I was pointing out the frustrating position I am in, and how it might be that I would be inclined to declare I'm using the right kit, just to avoid the back and forth about getting the right kit (which I can't),
This is slightly incorrect information. Recommended kits are available in Canada, both the Taylor K-2006 and the LaMotte 7022 are available north of the border. The bit problem in Canada is that Taylor has given an exclusive contract to one company for Taylor reagent sales in the entire country, thus driving up the price.

Yeah, I agree. I appreciate your comment, and how much time you take to educate and respond to so many posts here, so thoroughly. It's truly remarkable. But here's what I notice. Unless you declare you own one of the "suggested test kits", I notice over and over that basically, you will be told you can't rely on your numbers until you confirm you tested with the right kit. I mean, it's all over the place. Yes, it's definitely the ideal practice, but I border's on cult-like, the insistence of owning a kit. As much as we know the pool stores have a goal of selling you their products, I also get this feeling like the test kit is pushed without exception, immediately, as mandatory. I read it over and over and honestly have started and deleted posts on my approach about 5 times , just because I don't need the backlash I know would come. That's my opinion anyway.

No offense intended here. I know all of the TFP veterans could easily manage in the same manner I do. Maybe the story would be different if the kits were $200 plus, like they are for us in Canada. I would concede that for $50-60, it's basically a no brainer, but for $200, I think it changes the math such that the kit would be overkill. That's how I feel, and why I want to let people know it can be done this way (as you also point out - thank you). Anyway, don't want to beat a dead horse here.

PS, my pool is seasonal (open in May, close in Oct), not sure if I understand your intended point there or not. CYA needs to be added every opening, to account for the fall winterizing (draining), which is pretty standard I assume, for us seasonal guys.

Ok, I'll give you the "CULT LIKE"comment. But as you know from looking around here, we "preach it" to new members as it's tailored to this method. They also recommend the k2006.
I suppose this site is geared for the "states", as that is where most members reside.

But, you are living proof that this method will work anywhere with some adjustments. If members are as alert and read around here like you do, they can adapt the principals to their own situation.
It sucks the way things are made more difficult north of the border. If it were me and I lived within a hundred miles or less from the border, I would try to find a friend or relative in the states and go visit them and have them order me one, but then again I guess I like skirting the system sometimes :rolleyes:

Just checked and the Taylor kits are $320 for the 60 ML bottle reagents, and $185 for the small bottles, going to the most direct supplier we can.

I have definately considered buying when I am in the states, but in the meantime, I now have pieced together about half a kit of what I need, and it works so I'll carry on.

You know, I read that cult like point I made, and it sounds harsh. I didn't mean to be harsh, and in fact, when I am talking to my neighbours about fixing their pools, I'm the cult-like guy when it comes to the TFP approach.

I also know the pool store wonders why I only ever buy "shock" from them (what they call 12.5% CL) and never get my water tested. I can see it in their eyes, they hate me as a customer. $13 for 5 GAL, once or twice a month. Thanks to TFP.

I'm wondering what's in it that is worth $68. Amazon sells a CYA test for less than $10, and we can get a basic kit for cheap from wherever. I get that the TF 100 has alot more reagent/tests in it- but don't they expire? I think this info is on the site somewhere but I couldn't find it.
TIA

Yes, it's essential. It's also a great value.

The kit plus the knowledge here saved me many times its cost and I'm still in my first year of having a Trouble Free Pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also know the pool store wonders why I only ever buy "shock" from them (what they call 12.5% CL) and never get my water tested. I can see it in their eyes, they hate me as a customer. $13 for 5 GAL, once or twice a month.

It's more than $4 per gallon for me for 12.5% chlorinating liquid from my local pool store so I'm jealous. Thank you for becoming a lifetime member.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.