What is the ultimate filter?

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
Serious question, if money was no object, what filter would you suggest I use for an 18x36 IG Vinyl?

Just curious what the best of the best is.

Best meaning

1. Works great.
2. Not overly complicated maintenance.

Of course money being no object is not quite true, but let me dream :)

Oversizing a filter is recommended. A larger filter wil not only perform better but will need cleaning much less often. As far as the choice of type of filter, just do a bit of research. Do you want the easiest to maintain or the one that filters the finest?

I would actually prefer a filter that filters the finest. I enjoy working on and around the pool, so maintenance is not a real issue but I am obesessed with clear water.

Generally that means you would be looking for a DE filter.

My Hayward 6020, installed in 2004, does a great job on my 20k gal vinyl lined pool.

And as was mentioned, oversized is the way to go!

DE will give you the finest filtration, fairly low hassle. Sand won't filter as fine, but is easiest to maintain and use. Adding DE to a sand filter after each backwash can also help it filter finer particles. Cartridge filters catch particles nearly as small as a DE filter and are a bit of a hassle to clean filters, which must be replaced periodically depending on how well you maintain your pool. Since you're going to be closing your pool for the winter, sand and DE filters make it easier. See a better summary here: Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison

If you want very fine filtration and are willing to do maintenance to get it, I would recommend an oversized DE filter and use cellulose filter media in place of DE.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.