brown tinted water

Jun 22, 2015
NJ
Hi guys,

I'm a little clueless, so go easy on me.
This is my 3rd year as a pool owner, I was always testing with strips. Last year I got a Taylor kit but didn't really understand it well. So I figured this year I'll get the ColorQ 2056 by LaMotte as it seemed idiot proof. Guess I'm wrong.

My pool water has a brown tint and seems to be staining the white areas. I figured it's metals but don't want to be wrong.

I have a vinyl pool 16 x 32.
I believe it's about 22,000 gallons.
Here are the results from the ColorQ.

FCL - 0.20
TCL - 5.82
PH - LO
ALK - 8
CH - 89
CYA - HI

I have no idea what this means.
I read pool school, but these types of numbers seem different.

Help a guy out?

Tested with the Taylor kit.

I needed 13 drops of R-0006 to get to 7.0. The Taylor table only goes to 10 drops so I'm literally off the charts. I guess I need about 8 or 9 pounds soda ash. Do I add it to the skimmer or directly into the water? Would this be a reason for the brown staining?

TA results from Taylor kit - 30 PPM

Calcium hardness -140 PPM

Tested with the Taylor kit.

I needed 13 drops of R-0006 to get to 7.0. The Taylor table only goes to 10 drops so I'm literally off the charts. I guess I need about 8 or 9 pounds soda ash. Do I add it to the skimmer or directly into the water? Would this be a reason for the brown staining?

TA results from Taylor kit - 30 PPM

Calcium hardness -140 PPM

I read on these forums to try to hold a chlorine puck against the stains. It didn't do anything at all. I tried the Vitamin C tablets in sock method and that worked like magic. Whitened whatever it touched. So now I know it's metals, probably iron. I guess a metal treatment is the next step.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.