too hot for sod?

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I think the average is 115 degrees. i thought sod was more than I was quoted, so for $350 I started considering just laying sod instead of dealing with mud. someone told me it's too hot for sod and it probably won't make it unless we use tons of water. i would've thought i'd have to water seed more than sod, but I guess I can see what they're saying, roots go deeper and it's more to cover. has anyone had experience trying to root sod or grow seed in this kind of heat? the next question, is which kind of bermuda? A garden guy said to try buffalo grass for less mowing and watering, but A&P nursery said no way in full sun in AZ. thx!

Cant help you with the bermuda grass, but I can say you could not have picked a worse time to lay sod, right at the start of summer. I am assuming that in Phoenix you have sandy soil, so it is not going to want to maintain water much for you. So, if you want to try, I can think of two thigns that might help. The cheapest one might be to lay the sod and then put some straw over the sod. it will protect the sod from direct light a bit, adn it might help maintain moisture after you water it. Or, before you lay the sod, you could try putting an additive such as sphagnum pete moss which will hold water, and then the sod on top of that. But the short answer is ideally you shoudl wait, but people have done it before, and will do it again. You just will have to water like crazy. If you try, make sure you are buying good sod. Dont just go to some place like Lowes who will stock sod, but don't care for it, and the rolls are already distressed when you receive them,

Whatever method you want to go with, your window is closing soon to do it without issue. For seed, you need to keep the ground moist for maybe 2-3 weeks. If it gets dry some seeds will stress adn start to die. After the 2-3 weeks, you will want to switch to deep waterings less often. The first 3 weeks are about the seed germinating, sprouting and getting going. Then the next 2-3 weeks are abotu seed growth. If you plant seed, make sure you get a good layer of soil, mulch and/or straw on top to help keep the ground moist.

You can grow sod if you want, just water it weel, and keep it moist and use deep waterings as well to get the roots of the sod to spread into the existing soil. WOrst case with either method is that some will grow, some will not, and you have to add some replacement sod, or existing seed once fall comes. Not sure where you live, but if you are in a water restricted area, where you can water only on even days, or only twice a week, then summer could be a challenge for you regardless of technique.

The trick is to keep it moist. It had hardly any roots when it comes, and in that kind of weather, it must stay moist all day. Ask your sod guy, he can tell you. If you go Bermuda, it does well with deep waterings once it's established. Light shallow waterings are not good for it. I would think in Phoenix you'd have a long window for laying it later, but the cut off from Sod farms is usually about the first of August. It may be different there, as majority of Sod sold here comes out of the Houston area. I would look into a tiff hybrid if you are going Bermuda. I think Celebration is a good one. It's very fine, soft and thick. Very lush, and dark vivid Green. Also, find out what the golf courses use out there. They can tell you what does well, or sometimes the local Agriculture extension can point you the right way if not give you direct answers.

after talking with the sprinkler guy today and looking at the odd grading gully we did in the yard, and not wanting to raise the yard anymore, even a couple of inches with sod, i think i'll try seed. also, less water will be great. the irrigation guy said i need to level the ground since the grading is not to my liking , yet, then lay edging, then sprinklers. after that i should be able to lay seed. i thought summer was prime growing season for bermuda. it is what it is. pool's done now so now's the time to plant for us. thx!

i don't feel like i have much of a choice with needing to use seed due to it would be a lot of work to lower the elevation more than i'm already lowering it. so, if i use seed, when would be a decent time to lay it? i still have to do edging and sprinklers before i lay it anyway, so i could see it taking another few weeks. really, i'd want to lay my patio under the grape arbor, too, but i think the grass is what i'd like done first, although i might do the patio first if i should wait til august.

got a couple quotes for closer to $300 to build off my existing sprinklers and the one i like best today came in closer to $700 to build off it or $1k for a new sprinkler set up and another couple grand for drip. now i have to decide about that.

thx!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.