New guy in GA

jwible

Jun 22, 2015
Newnan GA
We just pulled the trigger on building a custom pool. Gulp. Meeting with the designer / builder tomorrow to go over construction schedule and some details.

So far we we know it's going to be around 18x36 custom design with a 30 inch retaining wall on the high side. We'll have a 20 foot masonry slide coming down the hill into the pool. Shotcrete construction, Stonescape pebble plaster finish, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, walk in / sun pad. Equipment spec'd so far is Pentair Whisperflow 1.5hp, 520 sq feet Clean and Clear filter, Jandy Never-Lube valves, timer with freeze protection (clueless on this) LED light, chlorinator, Polaris 280, and autofill.

No real idea on what I can upgrade as far as specified equipment other than the Polaris 280.

The one thing I'd really like to have but isn't in the budget is an automatic cover. I'm not sure how much those would cost or how feasible it would be with a retaining wall similar in style to this.

swimming_pool_new_jersey_clc_landscape_design_421.jpg

Thanks for the site! I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can. My goal is simple and low maintenance.

Hello and welcome to TFP. That looks like an amazing pool. Keep the pics coming as you build. Take time to review the links you see below as they contain most of what you will hear on TFP. And of course .... don't forget to have the right test kit on order when your pool is done.

The proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 – link below) is the foundation of your pool care. Why this kit? We've learned through personal experience that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They simply do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.

We're happy to have you with us. Enjoy your stay and ask as many questions as you like. Keep in touch!

Welcome to TFP!

You will need one of the Recommended Test Kits to properly manage your pool. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping.

While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math

If you spend time researching the information in Pool School, you will be a pro at managing your pool by the time your build is complete.