Just starting: Major pitfalls we should look out for??

Jan 10, 2009
We're digging next week!!
Exciting and ...well...scary!!
I would love for you to share stories and experience, so we can be on the look out for major pitfalls in the poolbuilding process. This is our first pool and I feel very nervous, just as much as excited.
Our specs:
Northern California
33' X 19' free form pool
Sport pool 3.5 X 6 X 4 deep
18,000 gallon
Raised bond beam with flagstone face chip & cut (18") on one side
2 ton Calistoga waterfall ( 4' X 4' X 3')
750 sq.feet of stamped colored concrete decking
Tanning shelf
Wetedge Satin Matrix (don't have a color picked out yet)
Flagstone coping (Oklahoma?)
Equipment: Jandy 2 speed
460 sq.ft. Jandy fibeglass cartridge filter
Polaris 360 cleaner

Would happily post a plan and drawings if only I knew how ;-)

Any thoughts or comments would be highly appreciated!!
I will keep updating this post.
Thanks

A new build is always exciting!

For the first while, everything is the builders responsibility. Once there is water in the pool, you need to communicate with the builder and find out what is their responsibility and what is your responsibility. Some builders take care of everything for the first several weeks after there is water in the pool, others leave everything to you the moment there is water in the pool, and most are somewhere in between.

Hi! Welcome!

The more knowledge you arm yourself with, the better you will be able to avoid any pitfalls.

Asking lots and lots of questions on this forum will really help you understand and share the experiences of others that have built prior to you. Keep us posted and post some pics as you progress. Best of luck...we all love new builds.

Welcome to TFP!

Now would be a good time to start doing some reading if you haven't already started. Click the "pool school" link at the top of the page to get started. Additionally, it would be a great idea to pick up a high quality test kit and most would suggest a TF-100 from Trouble Free Test Kits. Follow the link in Dave's (duraleigh) signature line to purchase one. Having a good test kit on hand and understanding the "why's" of water balance will save lots of $$$$ and time.

We all love to see build pics so post away. And when questions arise (and they will), ask away. Odds are, you will find the answer here.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.