Greetings From Colorado

jimbowrench

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
Littleton, CO
I just discovered this forum over the weekend. Not sure where I have been, must have been under a rock.
Lots of great information here. Some of it confirming what I already know, but most of it gives me new ideas.
Really interested in adding borate to my salt water pool, in fact I am currently working to lower my TA.
Most of the time I really don't have any major issues, but with a very wet spring had some algae problems.
Thanks to all for the useful information so far.

Cheers,

Jim

Most of the time I really don't have any major issues, but with a very wet spring had some algae problems.
Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Well, give us some numbers... We like numbers almost as much as we like pictures.

What I quoted is what concerns me. You should not have issues with algae in a properly balanced SWG pool because of rain.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Well, give us some numbers... We like numbers almost as much as we like pictures.

What I quoted is what concerns me. You should not have issues with algae in a properly balanced SWG pool because of rain.

Yes It was chemistry leading to the algae. CYA had fallen over the winter, and I didn't have the reagent to test. My Bad!

Shock, Algaecide, and correcting the CYA solved the issue.

Numbers today:
FC: 3
CC: 0
PH: 7.6
TA: 120
CH: 250
CYA: 30
Salt: 3,300

From what I have been reading, I need to lower my TA to 70, and bring my CYA up to 70. This is a bit contrary to what I have been told.

I also used pool anti-freeze for the first time this past winter. Could this have left me susceptible to algae?

Thanks,

Jim

There is no need to really worry about the TA. But, yes you want to get the CYA up to about 70ppm to aide the SWG.

Algaecide is a band-aid/insurance to try to prevent algae, not get rid of it. And if you maintain the correct FC levels, there is no need to ever add it.