OK to add Bleach if filter pump not on?

anonapersona

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
Is it OK to add Bleack (or Liquid Shock) to the pool when the main filter pump is not running? I'm just wondering if the bleach will simply sink to the bottom of the deep end and corrode things.

I just added some Liquid Shock, and the spa is in heat up mode, so if I turn the whole pool on all that heat in the spa will fall into the pool and we start all over.

If this is an issue I may need to do my additions when the main filter pump is on, or at least when I can manage to run it for a little while to disperse the bleach.

Bleach and chlorinating liquid are denser than water so if you pour it in without mixing it can settle to the bottom. In a vinyl pool that can be worse than in a plaster pool. If you can at least use a brush to stir up the water in the area you pour, then that is better than nothing. However, if you can add the chlorine when the circulation pump is running, that would be best.

There was a similar question on adding acid without the pump running and that is worse than chlorine in terms of the effects of not having it mixed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.