Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OK to add Bleach if filter pump not on?

1. Back To Top    #1

OK to add Bleach if filter pump not on?

Is it OK to add Bleack (or Liquid Shock) to the pool when the main filter pump is not running? I'm just wondering if the bleach will simply sink to the bottom of the deep end and corrode things.

I just added some Liquid Shock, and the spa is in heat up mode, so if I turn the whole pool on all that heat in the spa will fall into the pool and we start all over.

If this is an issue I may need to do my additions when the main filter pump is on, or at least when I can manage to run it for a little while to disperse the bleach.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: OK to add Bleach if filter pump not on?

Bleach and chlorinating liquid are denser than water so if you pour it in without mixing it can settle to the bottom. In a vinyl pool that can be worse than in a plaster pool. If you can at least use a brush to stir up the water in the area you pour, then that is better than nothing. However, if you can add the chlorine when the circulation pump is running, that would be best.

There was a similar question on adding acid without the pump running and that is worse than chlorine in terms of the effects of not having it mixed.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"