Algae Dead But Not Yet Clear

Jun 22, 2015
KY
Hi. I've just purchased a Taylor K-2006 that should be here in a week. In the mean time, I still only have my basic OTO test kit.

The pool was green and chlorine levels were almost 0. I've added a total of 17 lbs of cal-hypo in the past week. Last night seemed to push the levels enough to kill the algae because the green is gone today. The pool still isn't clear but there is nothing floating.

I'm wondering what I should/can do now while I wait on the K-2006. I would hate to let it get out of control again. I don't have reliable readings on anything right now besides that my OTO kit says PH is between 7.2 - 7.8 and the chlorine is off the charts. I can say that I added CYA about a month ago based on pool store recommendations, so CYA should be some > 0.

I appreciate any advice.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

First, please stop using CalHypo until you get your test kit and find out where your CH level is. If my math is right 17 pounds should have raised your CH a little over 50ppm.

Just because you see nothing floating and it's not "green" doesn't necessarily mean all the algae is dead.

I would say add one 121oz bottle of 8.25% bleach each day until the K-2006 arrives as a holding pattern. Keep the filter running and backwash when you get a 25% rise in pressure.

Brush the pool each day. can you see the bottom to see if there are any leaves/junk that need to be removed?

Thanks. I won't add anymore CalHypo. I can't see the bottom now, but I have laboriously raked the pool for close to 2 months to keep debris out. There was a little today. I can't say for sure that it is all out though. I'll add bleach each day. Did you really mean 121oz of bleach or is that a typo for 12oz?

Welcome!

I would suggest start using PoolMath: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html and get familiar with it until your kit comes.

How much CYA did you add a month ago? If you can estimate the quantity added you can use the above link to figure out where your cya level is approximately. Then use that cya figure and plug it into poolmath and start setting your FC targets based on your best guess. Here's the chart to know where to set your FC based on your CYA: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

You could easily and safely be pouring 1 jug of 8.25% in per day maybe even two without a sweat.

Thank you! Based on the amount added when CYA was 0(from PS analysis), and estimating the refill I've done, I would say its around 50. I added 15lbs of CYA which would have brought it to 100. Why would they tell me to do that? Isn't target CYA around 30? With those estimates, my target FC is 6 and my shock FC is 20. Though, I'm not sure at this point I can even test FC.

Thank you! Based on the amount added when CYA was 0(from PS analysis), and estimating the refill I've done, I would say its around 50. I added 15lbs of CYA which would have brought it to 100. Why would they tell me to do that? Isn't target CYA around 30? With those estimates, my target FC is 6 and my shock FC is 20. Though, I'm not sure at this point I can even test FC.
Depending on how much sun the pool gets every day you may want anywhere form 30 to 60. Out west, like AZ it may even go higher. Remember, the guy behind the counter at the pool store may have been mowing lawns or flipping burgers last week. There is little training other than sales. What they generally learn is on the job. Did he sell you the CYA?

The pool gets tons of direct sun every day so that may be something I need to factor in. The pool store is a family owned store ran by a couple with no employees. I've dealt with them for a few years now and generally trusted them until this summer when their sales tactics seemed to become much more aggressive. I would almost guarantee that they've attended some new sales training in the off season this year. Basically, I came in with some green water that tested a CYA of 0. They had CYA in stock, but I needed more, and it would be "a better deal" if I waited until the next day until the bigger supply came in. They've used that a few times now. I sent my girlfriend to the store to pick up 5 bags of CalHypo($20) and she came home with 24($100.) All the while, following their instructions, my pool hasn't been clear once this year. Anyways, I'm done complaining about it. Everyone here knows about pool stores and I should've paid heed years ago. I understand the SLAM process, which is basically what I've always done, just blindly, without accurate numbers to work with. So now I'll wait for my new kit. I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track right now thanks to everything I've read here.

I've dealt with them for a few years now and generally trusted them until this summer when their sales tactics seemed to become much more aggressive. I would almost guarantee that they've attended some new sales training in the off season this year.
Do they have any other lines of business?? Lawn furniture, BBQ, Big Green Egg??

The pool business was a difficult one even in good times. Now with the internet the business model is changing and many stores are not dealing with the change well.

They have many things working against them-

*Generally people with pools need to have expendable income in today's economy many who did, don't
*It a seasonal business - Their audience only cares about pool stuff half the year
*Many of the products they carry are now available on line
*There is a more informed consumer, sites like TFP are showing customers a different way.

- - - Updated - - -

The pool gets tons of direct sun every day so that may be something I need to factor in.
You may be at the higher end of CYA once the pool is clear and you can get a real handle on your chlorine consumption.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've received my k-2006 today and have some results:

CYA - 75ppm
FC - 2ppm
CC - 1.8ppm
PH - 7.2ppm
TA - 100ppm

Water is not green but murky right now. My question is, should I just start the SLAM process now, or should try to bring the CYA level down some?

Thanks!

I quit going to pool stores for chemicals when (A.) they would test my water with a test strip then tell me I had to buy their chemicals to get the test results, and (B.) when I found this site. Wal-Mart, Krogers and Lowes gets all my pool money now.

Do they have any other lines of business?? Lawn furniture, BBQ, Big Green Egg??

The pool business was a difficult one even in good times. Now with the internet the business model is changing and many stores are not dealing with the change well.

They have many things working against them-

*Generally people with pools need to have expendable income in today's economy many who did, don't
*It a seasonal business - Their audience only cares about pool stuff half the year
*Many of the products they carry are now available on line
*There is a more informed consumer, sites like TFP are showing customers a different way.

- - - Updated - - -

You may be at the higher end of CYA once the pool is clear and you can get a real handle on your chlorine consumption.

I drained some off today. Not the 20%ish to lower cya to 50, but quite a bit. Refilled. Then I added 6 bottles of 121oz of * 8.25% bleach. I think I was supposed to add this a little at a time, but I test FC today and is was 0 after being 2 yesterday. We had a lot of rain last night. Is it normal to lose 2ppm that fast?

Is it ok that I added that much bleach at one time in order to start the SLAM? I calculated that 6 bottles would bring FC up to 27 which is should be shock level right now. I plan to retest everything in the morning. I should have a better picture by then.

I drained some off today. Not the 20%ish to lower cya to 50, but quite a bit. Refilled. Then I added 6 bottles of 121oz of * 8.25% bleach. I think I was supposed to add this a little at a time, but I test FC today and is was 0 after being 2 yesterday. We had a lot of rain last night. Is it normal to lose 2ppm that fast?

Is it ok that I added that much bleach at one time in order to start the SLAM? I calculated that 6 bottles would bring FC up to 27 which is should be shock level right now. I plan to retest everything in the morning. I should have a better picture by then.

Yes, you can lose 2 ppm that fast. Algae consumes FC rapidly! What is your current CYA after the drain and refill? The FC you need for the SLAM changes with the CYA. If your CYA is 70 then putting 6 bottles in all at once is fine. You should be testing FC more than once a day. Remember that you must maintain a FC of 27. If it drops below 27 add bleach to keep it at 27. At first I tested 4 to 6 time a day during a recent SLAM.

How is the SLAM going?

No great so far. We've been getting a lot of rain so after the first 6 bottles of bleach I stopped. But, my FC is still up so I have a good base to re-start from.

My CYA is 65 after the partial drain. So I'm gonna keep slamming and keep the FC level up. My numbers today were:

CYA - 65
FC - 8ppm
CC - 1
pH - 7.2

I just need to maintain the shock level long enough to pass all the tests. Is there anything I should be doing differently? I have a lot of CalHypo. Could I be using this instead of bleach, or will it raise my CYA?

CalHypo raises CH, not CYA but is not as fast to react as liquid products. With CYA 65 you are looking at a 28ppm shock level.

Bring it up to shock and test and readjust back to shock as often as you can, but not more often than once each hour.

You should brush the pool once a day

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.