Algae Dead But Not Yet Clear

If you are running low on reagents you can use a 5ml sample size but you will lose some accuracy, but it works in a pinch...order the xl option at tftestkits.net and use the 5 ml sample until the reagents arrive. Multiple the numbers of drops by 1 instead of 0.5.

I added 5lbs of CalHypo and tested an hour later. FC is 28, CC < 1 with a CYA of 65. Now I just need to keep it there. I'm going to test every few hours at this point. I'll probably use the last of my CalHypo(5lbs left) then start using bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mike -

We love pictures...hint, hint! Keep doing what you are doing. Test as often as possible and bring your FC back up to shock. Keep brushing the pool and raking as much junk as possible. Remember to backwash your filter once the pressure rises 25%. Can you see the bottom of the pool at all? Is the pool still green? Describe what the pools looks like compared to the day you found the mess.

The heavy rains can help you along, especially if it drives down your CYA. It can take some time to complete the SLAM. The pool did not get this way overnight and it will not get better overnight. I would also keep a check on your calcium.

Unless you have a swg, I hope that you mean you'll use liquid bleach daily to maintain your FC according to TFP...not just to shock :wink:

Yes, I plan to use liquid bleach to maintain and not only shock. My CYA is already too high I think.

My first numbers today were:

FC - 18(down from 28 last night at 1:30am)
CC - 1

I added 3lbs of CalHypo to bring FC back up. The water still looks the same. I brushed the whole pool. There is brown residue on the steps that moves around when brushing.

We are having thunderstorms for the next 7 days. I'm not sure this is going to work. I'm beyond discouraged at this point and considering adding 18,000 gallons of dirt. Dirt seems much cheaper to maintain.

I'm not sure I understand your concern/delay of SLAM due to rain???

IMO, that's a good thing! You'll be able to vacuum to waste/backwash and you'll get new water to help dilute out some of that CYA. It's a win-win!

Maybe this thread isn't detailed enough about how you're performing your SLAM, but it seems like you're not testing frequently enough and KEEPING the FC at shock level for your CYA consistently...

The key to success here is pretty much staying on top of it. Which means testing every couple or few hours and adding more bleach to keep your FC from dropping too much. That's not always ideal but the closer you can get to testing and dosing as often as possible the better/faster/cheaper your outcome will be. It needs to be baby-sat. Postponing and playing patty cake is only costing you more money and time because you gain a little and slip, gain a little and slip. Hit it hard, stick with it and don't let rain or anything else stop you. Go buy plenty of bleach so you don't run out in the middle of the night and sanitize that sucker! It'll get there with persistence and consistency and BLEACH, bleach, bleach... Hopefully, your XL option has already arrived so you have plenty of reagent...

I second the reply wrems posted! You must test often! Once a day is not enough. At a bare minimum you should test twice a day and I would venture to say that is inadequate for the condition of your pool. If you find it impossible to test more often, then have a family member test for you, and add bleach to raise your FC to shock level. The key to this process is MAINTAIN.

I found the key to the SLAM is keeping the Shock Level up! Test and add bleach every hour whenever you can. If you need to be away from the house, I would always bring my Shock Level up to Mustard Shock (like before I went to work). Anytime I was home, I was testing and adding bleach every hour. It took a LOT of bleach. I lost count after 24 jugs, but it was so worth it and my pool has been easy to maintain ever since.

Good luck! You've got this!

Thanks guys. I'm testing at least 4 times per day and adding shock. Actually, today the green tint has dissipated quite a bit. I've been able to get to this point many times. So basically its a very light green and cloudy. I'll keep adding bleach. I think I've added about 20 or jugs of bleach, plus the 24lbs of CalHypo I had to begin with. I'm out of CalHypo and won't be buying any more. CH is 220. I'll keep at it and I'll also post pictures.

Here is the background. The pool wasn't closed last year. So at the end of May the pool was black and full of leaves. I raked leaves for a couple weeks until I they seemed to be gone. I still rake and get nothing, so I think most of the large debris is gone. The first thing I did was add loads of CalHypo which immediately turned the pool light green and cloudy. I've been jumping back and forth between light green and cloudy since then.

Thanks again for the help.

Here are a couple pics of the pool today. Added from mobile so I apologize if they're small. It doesn't look terrible but I just can't get past this cloudiness to a clear pool. It's vinyl with a pattern on the bottom that you can't see.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 95
That pool is gonna look so good! Keep on testing and adding bleach. The more you test the faster this will all go. When you drop below shock level the algae gains ground and you suffer. Keep up the good work and I promise you everything will get much easier and so so much cheaper.

Better condition than I imagined! You can always add DE to your sand filter to increase filtration. I'd baby sit it just in case it needs back washing sooner rather than later. Pressure might go up pretty fast but it'll pull a lot finer junk out of your water. Just keep up the bleach dosing and you'll break through!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.