Broom finish Concrete or Spray Deck

Jun 21, 2015
Katy TX
poolview2.jpgHello Everyone,

Need Help.....

I had created an account a few weeks back and shared the drawings...somehow cant login with the credentials...

So here goes,....we are building a pool in Katy TX and during quote to stay within the already stretched out budget - we decided to not do the spray deck and choose broom finish concrete.. the deck form is being done right now and now we are rethinking the decision but need help to decide

We though we would do a kool paint on the concrete later on but now have some hesitance...

What do you recommend?

1. Get the PB to add the spray deck and bite the bullet of additional cost ($1400) - about 350ish- sq ft of deck - they say it will push out plaster for alteast 2 weeks. :(
2. Leave it Broom finish
3. Paint it later on after the build - if yes should it be plain finish?

Last edited:
How about another option? Rock salt finished with color hardener? Pics in link in my sig.

Not a fan of spray deck because it fails over time and has to redone. Broom finish or rock salt finish is maintenance free forever.

I have read a little about the Cool paint product (Cool Pool Deck Coating. Pool deck paint. Coating that stays cool.) and it sounded like it got rave reviews. It says it can fill cracks up to 1/8" thick, but I don't know if the cracks remain visible or not. I thought that it might be a benefit to plan on doing this later after the decking cracks (which everyone says it inevitably will if you go with concrete over pavers) so that any cracks would be masked by the Cool product. That's just my speculation though.

How about another option? Rock salt finished with color hardener? Pics in link in my sig.

Not a fan of spray deck because it fails over time and has to redone. Broom finish or rock salt finish is maintenance free forever.

Your pool is amazing.and so is the decking.... Did your PB do the rock salt concrete? I don't think it was an option with our PB. how is it done? I see you have some color to your concrete as well...

- - - Updated - - -

I have read a little about the Cool paint product (Cool Pool Deck Coating. Pool deck paint. Coating that stays cool.) and it sounded like it got rave reviews. It says it can fill cracks up to 1/8" thick, but I don't know if the cracks remain visible or not. I thought that it might be a benefit to plan on doing this later after the decking cracks (which everyone says it inevitably will if you go with concrete over pavers) so that any cracks would be masked by the Cool product. That's just my speculation though.

We thought we would do the cool paint earlier however we are not feeling very confident how it would look, also not sure if we should have the decking guys pour plain concrete and not texture it with the broom finish......ALso read someplace that concrete has to cure 28 days before doing the cool paint... and at this point we are ready to get the pool done.. yet - PB says if we go with Spray deck it will delay plaster by another 2 weeks... doesnt have to get this hard... can't wait to reclaim the backyard...

Thanks. Yep, PB did it. They do concrete as normal, then throw colored hardener powder across the wet concrete then throw rock salt across it and press it in. And boom, done. We love it, zero maintenance, three years old. Lots of colors to choose from also. Ours is either buff or tan.

I'm in the same boat, with a twist. 1/2 of my deck will be new, but will butt up to the old 1/2 of the patio deck, so there will be two different concrete surfaces that don't match. I told the PB I thought this would look terrible and asked for options. He said to do Spray-Deck. I'm assuming that's the Spray-Deck product by Increte? I'm open to other ideas, but he didn't have any others off the top of his head.

Also, I noticed Increte has a product called Thin-Crete that looks pretty cool and would supposedly work in my situation, but I'm not 100% sure.

http://www.increte.com/products-and-systems/thin-crete/

THIN-CRETE is a stamped concrete overlay system designed as a cover-up for existing concrete surfaces by duplicating the look of natural stone, slate and granite in deep relief patterns. Applied at 1/4" to 3/8" of an inch over existing concrete, THIN-CRETE eliminates the hassle and expense of concrete replacement and is actually stronger and more durable than concrete. THIN-CRETE is perfect for residential and commercial applications ranging from pool decks, patios and driveways to hotel lobbies, restaurants, and retail venues.

Whatever your application, THIN-CRETE can be colored and textured to enhance any design or specification giving you a flooring surface as durable as it is beautiful

rich-drive2-low-res.jpg

That looks cool. How long do they warranty it? And can you see some work that is 5 years old or so? They say all the right stuff but I couldn't find a warranty on their website.

That looks cool. How long do they warranty it? And can you see some work that is 5 years old or so? They say all the right stuff but I couldn't find a warranty on their website.
I know nothing about it, other than the link I posted. I just brought it up here to get some input. My PB foreman didn't even mention it as an option, I just saw it on the Increte site as an option for outdoors/covering existing concrete installations.

http://www.increte.com/product-selector

Concrete overlays are very common. I have the same issue - existing patio that will not match new deck - and am doing a thin overlay followed by stamp and stain so all deck will look the same.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Concrete overlays are very common. I have the same issue - existing patio that will not match new deck - and am doing a thin overlay followed by stamp and stain so all deck will look the same.

I am gonna do the salt finish concrete with an overlay on our existing patio so everything matches also. I was gonna do stamped concrete, but the colored salt finish looks good to me.
Can you guys eleabrate about this? What is the product called and who makes it? Like I said, my foreman recommended SprayDeck and that was about it. I told him I saw that Increte has that Thin-Crete product, but he hadn't heard of it. He says it just sounds like a stamped concrete overlay, which is twice as expensive as SprayDeck.

We wanted a broom finish on our deck so we could use Kool deck paint. The builder sprayed it anyways, I think he was trying to cover up all the cracks in the new concrete. It does look nice but it is not what we wanted and to late to get rid of it. Good luck

Stamped and stained concrete is a process, not a specific product, of finishing concrete. ANY pb will be familiar with this. You should Google stamped and stained concrete and you will see the possibilities are endless. Wood look, flagstone, slate, cobblestone and the list goes on. Same with colors.

Rock salt is the process of throwing rock salt onto the wet concrete, letting it sit for a while and with a trowel, mashing it into the concrete. After it it sprayed out, your left wit Beautiful decorative concrete. You can also stain or dye the concrete to give it a color besides gray. I think this method also looks great when they use a saw to score the concrete to make it look like tiles.

Rock salt and broom finish should be about the same price.

Add color expect 2-4 $per foot.

Stamped amd stained expect 3-5 $per foot more than rock salt or broom.

Mine does hold some dirt over time, but not that much. Must have been a dirty rain or left over dirt on the deck or something. Once it is clean and normal conditions it should be a lot less dirty. We might hose ours off every 3 or 4 weeks at most.

Is the rock salt finish only good for warmer climates? I casually asked my concrete guy about it,, and he said you wouldn't do that in the Northern states? Not sure if the winters somehow would influence it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.