Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding muriatic acid w/o pump running

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding muriatic acid w/o pump running

As the subject suggests, is it unwise to add small quantities of muriatic acid (one pint to one quart) to my pool w/o the pump running? Would it be OK to let it sit overnight until the pump starts the next morning?
    - 25K Gallons, Jandy AquaPure Model Pure1400 SWG w/ AquaLink RS PDA, Jandy LXi Heater Model 400
    - Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filters
    - IG Plaster Pool w/ rock waterfall & weeping walls, Elevated spill-over spa
    - 2 X Jandy Stealth SHPM2.5 pumps (one for pool, one for waterfall), Pool Pump ~ 100 GPM in pool mode
    - UltraPure UPP25 Ozone Generator, Polaris 280 w/ Polaris Halcyon booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding muriatic acid w/o pump running

If you have some way of manually circulating the water, such as using a pool with a brush or net at the end you can use for stirring the water in the area where you pour, then that's better than nothing. However, it really is better to pour slowly over a return flow with the pump running. Muriatic Acid is VERY strong so until it gets diluted it can cause damage. Now that said, it would be far worse to pour in the acid without the pump running in a vinyl pool since vinyl is particularly sensitive to low pH. A plaster pool such as yours will be heartier in that regard.

Do you not have a way to manually turn on your pump temporarily?

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Do you not have a way to manually turn on your pump temporarily?

Richard
    Yes, I normally run the pump for 30 minutes to an hour but was just wondering if I could skip this step. Is 30 minutes to an hour long enough?
    - 25K Gallons, Jandy AquaPure Model Pure1400 SWG w/ AquaLink RS PDA, Jandy LXi Heater Model 400
    - Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filters
    - IG Plaster Pool w/ rock waterfall & weeping walls, Elevated spill-over spa
    - 2 X Jandy Stealth SHPM2.5 pumps (one for pool, one for waterfall), Pool Pump ~ 100 GPM in pool mode
    - UltraPure UPP25 Ozone Generator, Polaris 280 w/ Polaris Halcyon booster pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, muriatic acid mixes in very quickly as long as there is some circulation. An hour is sure to plenty, and 30 minute is probably enough.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

When I add acid, I turn pumps on high to get a good circulation going and then add. I let run for about 20-25 minutes.
    14100 gallon IG Gunite Pool
    Sapphire Smoke Quartz Plaster
    Pentair SunTouch Controller, Intelliflo 4x160 Pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor SWG System
    Legend Platinum Cleaner with booster pump
    My Pool Build