New Pool Owner

Jun 22, 2015
Mullica Hill/ NJ
Hello Guys,

I'm new to the pool world and would like some help with the chemistry of my pool. I have a 23,000 gallon pool,DE filter, inline chlorinator, and the water is currently crystal clear. I have been doing a lot of reading on pool store vs BBB and was wondering which direction to go for the below numbers:

Reading from AquaCheck:
CL = 1.0
pH = 6.9
ALK = 40

This weekend we did receive a lot of rain. I have been looking at the pool calculator and was wondering do I raise my pH first with Borax? I appreciate any help with getting my numbers to the right spot.

Thanks again

Hello SNJ! Welcome to TFP. I guess the first thing to confirm is are you going to follow the pool store advice or TFP? Truly, you can't do both. Some things to consider here at TFP:
- The proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 – link below) is the foundation of your pool care. Why this kit? We've learned through personal experience that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They simply do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.

Even if we were to consider those readings above as reliable, they are considerably off to what TFP recommends (see link below). More accurately, we typically look for the following readings to make an accurate assessment: FC, CC, PH, TA, CYA, and CH.

I would encourage your to obtain one of the recommended test kits so you can be sure your readings are spot-on. From there, you can adjust using the Poolmath calculator or post on TFP where forums members will be glad to assist. But seriously, it all starts with the test kit. Also consider reviewing the Pool School and other vital links below. They are some of our most commonly used resources for pool care.

For now, if we were to assume those readings are close, I would definitely get the PH up to about 7.2, TA to 70, and increase your free chlorine by at least 2-4 ppm. We have no idea what your CYA (stabilizer) level is, and that's a HUGE player in all of this.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please go ahead and add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Thanks for the reply! I will definitely look into the test kit and I will update the signature this evening. If the numbers are correct, should I be trying to raise the PH and TA at the same time? Do you premix your borax first with water or just apply to the running skimmer?

Thanks

I cut & pasted this from the pool school pages (see the soda ash comment):

PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the PH and TA levels. If your TA level is high, aeration is best as it will not raise the TA level at all. However, aeration is rather slow compared to the other two.

Borax is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

Soda ash is available as ARM & HAMMER® Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster. Do not confuse this with ARM & HAMMER® laundry detergent! It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. It is also sold by pool stores under various names, including PH Increaser, PH Up, Balance Pak 200, etc. Soda ash is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

Aeration can be provided by a SWG, spa jets, waterfall, fountain, return pointed up so it breaks the surface, air compressor, kids splashing, rain, etc. It can take some time for aeration to raise the PH. The higher your TA level, the faster aeration will work.

Hope that helps you!

- - - Updated - - -

From Pool School specifically under TA: TA is raised by adding baking soda. :)

Welcome to TFP!

Raise your PH first with borax. Only adjust TA later if you have trouble getting your PH to stabilize. Definitely would not make any TA adjustments based on test strips or pool store tests.

Any idea what your CYA level is? Clorine level is set based on CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.