Just filled 15 ft by 42 in Summer Escapes

Jun 22, 2015
Mount Plesant, SC
I just filled my pool up using the garden hose. I don't have the TF-100 yet, but what do you suggest I add right now. I started using liquid chlorine at the end of last summer after using the small round tablets before that. It seemed to help along with the pool caclulater. I know you really need test results to give a real answer, but was hoping some one who used city water could say your CYA will be low. Go ahead and x to get that up, and try to keep your cholorine at x using an OTO test until your TF-100 gets in. I still have some of the old round chlorine tablets if it maters.

I looked for some open pool theads, but all I found were opening it after you closed it for the winter. I didn't see one for fresh fills using city water.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

If this was a completely new fill, then your CYA would be 0ppm (there is none in tap water). So you can use PoolMath to figure out how much stabilizer to add to get up to 30-50ppm. You can not test it for a week, so assume you are at your target.

Get the FC up to 2ppm right away and keep it there. Once the CYA is mostly dissolved, then you want to keep the FC above the minimum for your CYA according to the FC/CYA Chart.

Welcome! :wave:

Jason's using our shorthand and it probably doesn't make sense or help you much. To decode it, check Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

What chemicals do what and how to add them is here Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to use poolmath to figure how much is here Pool School - PoolMath

Now, short answer: Your pool is about 4000 gallons. If you measure the water depth, you can get a closer estimate.

2 FC is a cup and a half of standard 8.25% clorox
You should add 3 measuring cups (24 fluid ounces) of CYA granules to get CYA up to roughly 45. Pay attention to how to add it in that article. Don't scatter it in the pool or you may end up with a freckled liner.
If you have a pH test, check that and post the result if you need help calculating what else you need to add.

That will get you started. The bleach will all disappear in a day just from sunlight, so you'll need to replenish that every day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.