georgiadawg

Jul 15, 2014
Eastanollee GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Okay, Filled our pool up last week, been tinkering with the levels since then.
Here are my readings today:
FC-3
CC-0
pH-7.2
TA-30
CYA-30
Salt-2970

I have a question about the CYA. It's been 6 days since I added it to the pool. Is that enough time for me to get an accurate reading? The pump has been on continuously since we filled it, to circulate and dissolve salt, cya, etc. I didn't want to add CYA if this reading level wasn't reliable.

My SWS is on and running for 6 hours a day for the last 3-4 days. But I can't seem to get FC above 3 even with adding the bleach. Just added the recommended amount of bleach again today (did it yesterday, too) to bring it to target of 6.

I have the same question for the Salt that I had for CYA. Added some more yesterday and the change registered pretty quickly. I did the initial amount recommended to bring it to 3200, but even after continuous pump time and 6 days, it was still only at 2310. Add some yesterday and today it reads 2970. Should I leave the salt alone for now?

Do I need to bring the TA up now, even though the chlorine isn't where I want it? I know that it's really low. And if I bring up the TA, will that increase the PH?
I don't know which one of those to address first...the TA or PH?

Thanks!

How much did you target for the CYA? If you're close to what you aimed for, then it's dissolved.

With low CYA, the SWG will have a tough time keeping up with the losses caused by sunlight.

If you targeted 30 and you're there, target 70 from 30 and add some more stabilizer.

Hello again Lisa. While I will have to let another SWG owner speak about the SWG adjustment specifically, I can say that your low FC is concerning. As you may know from the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below), right now it should be a 4. Perhaps even a hair higher with that Georgia heat. So to answer a few of your questions:
- 6 days after adding stabilizer should get you pretty close to a good CYA reading. So if you want to start taking it up more, that's fine. Do so in stages so you don't over-shoot your SWG-recommended level for CYA.
- As you already know, TA is low of course, so use the Poolmath calculator to start getting it up to the 70 range.

I'm sure other SGW owners will reply with SWG-specific advise. :)

I targeted for 80 for the CYA. That's why I was wondering about that 30. I've done that test twice to make sure I didn't somehow mess it up, but still getting around 30.

- - - Updated - - -

So, address the TA before the pH? Adding the recommended amount of baking soda will raise that pH, won't it?

If I did Poolmath correctly for your pool, I show 100 OZ of baking soda required to go from TA 30 to 70. Yes, it raises PH "just a little". Should not be too significant though, and you can adjust that PH later.

CYA should have registered by now if measured correctly 6 days ago. You can start getting prepared to add more per the calculator. Of course ask us if you want to double-check your measurements or testing method for the CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

PS - To go from CYA of 30 to 70 the Poolmath calculator shows you needing 57 OZ of stabilizer. Double-check my math as well if you would like just to confirm and practice. :)

- - - Updated - - -

During all of this, make sure you keep an adequate amount of liquid bleach on-hand in case you need to augment your SWG with chlorine to boost to your FC level to keep it at or slightly above your target FC level. Until your CYA rises, the sun will continue to burn-up FC during the day.

Thanks. I've added liquid bleach daily to try to get/keep the level at 6. It has been 95 and above every day for the past week and a half, so the sun is definitely working on my FC. I'll keep doing that. I added the CYA a while ago. Now, how long do I need to wait to retest the CYA to get an accurate level?

Oh, and I only had 27oz on hand of the CYA, so I added that now. I won't be able to pick up some more until tonight, so it will be then before I can add the remaining amount. Should I go ahead and add that 30 oz? Or leave it with the 27 and see what that does?

Let's just be sure it all got dissolved. You didn't pour it down the skimmer and have to backwash before it all dissolved, right? And how much did you add by weight or volume? We should recheck poolmath in case it defaulted to some incorrect volume. Also, what CYA did you use? It wasn't some hybrid stuff that's part CYA and part borate or clarifier?

Six days after targeting 80, you should be awful close. So something isn't right, here.

I used pure CYA. Crystals. I did not put it through the skimmer (pump manual recommended against that) I broadcast it and then used a brush to dissolve and spread it. Now, it was what I had left from last year. Does that matter? Does it degrade in a year, after being opened? The recommended amount for start up was 2.6 lbs. That's what I added last week. Then I added the remaining 27 oz I had left in the jug.

Okay... poolmath calculates your pool to be closer to 11,400 gallons if filled to 4' deep.

A full four pound canister of CYA will only raise CYA to 42 in that much water. I think another dose of CYA is called for. This time, use the sock method described in Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals You'll know when it's all dissolved for sure then. If there's no room in the skimmer, or no skimmer, suspend the sock. There are a couple images in Recovering my old inspirational links that show different ways to do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's a lot of information to process we know, but you're doing well. :calm: Before you know it, it will all click and you'll manage your pool like if you were on cruise control. For now though, just re-read the notes on your thread to build that experience base. Never be shy about asking a question or re-validating what to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.