Converting a Hayward 320 Chlorinator to dispense liquid chlorine

Pool Amateur

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2015
Central, NJ
I am new and this maybe a silly question but here goes. Has anyone tried to convert a tablet chlorinator to a liquid dispenser. When I had a garden I used a device to add fertilizer to a sprinkler system using a venture tube and regulation of orifice to dispense correct amount. I have a Hayward 320 which I am not going to use for pucks and thought maybe it could be used for maybe a few days worth of liquid chlorine. Sort of a poor man's pump.
I am new and trying use this year to figure out the best/most convenient system to use. I do not want to go out and buy a pump only to decide to switch to SWG.

Even if it were a good idea (I don't think it is, generally not a good idea to re-purpose a dispenser for one chemical to another, even different types of chlorine) I believe you would quickly tire of opening it, filling it and letting it go.

Before I got the Stenner Pump I just went out each morning and poured in my pools daily ration of chlorine.

Been having difficulty getting on site due to server problem, sorry for delay in my response, thank you for your advice, I am considering getting a Stenner pump or switching to SWG. I like the idea of slowly dosing as opposed to once or twice a day to keep FC at a constant low but safe level. I am very new to pool management, never owned one before and trying to do my research before I spend money then change my mind as to the best way to go.

One of the issues will be the residue left over in the chlorinator and adding liquid bleach. Not a good idea. No matter if you are going with liquid or a salt chlorinator, consider and sensing system that will put the chlorine in the pool only when needed.

One of the issues will be the residue left over in the chlorinator and adding liquid bleach. Not a good idea. No matter if you are going with liquid or a salt chlorinator, consider and sensing system that will put the chlorine in the pool only when needed.

This looks like a SPAM account.

Not at all familiar with auto sensing systems, any recommendation where to start?

Be very careful with ORP automated system (Hayward Sense&Dispense and Pentair IntelliChem). You'll not find a lot of good things written about them here in TFP and they are notoriously tricky to keep properly functioning and calibrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not hardly. This guy worked for Hayward and is now retired. His comments and advice in public forums and in private messages and phone calls are excellent.

My bad then and I apologize.

The signature line looks totally SPAM-like

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hayward pool has been a contributing member here for some time. He's been very helpful to many members of TFP since he joined, and he's given a little latitude as a result of his helpful contributions.

Hayward pool has been a contributing member here for some time. He's been very helpful to many members of TFP since he joined, and he's given a little latitude as a result of his helpful contributions.

Understood and I apologized in my follow-up post for jumping to conclusions. Since it was an honest mistake on my part, it would not bother me in the least if the mods deleted my post that made the SPAM assertion. I could go back an edit it as well but I'm not sure if that is proper.

Thanks Hayward Pool. Can you make some suggestions as to a good sensing system that is automatically communicating with a dispensing system. From what I have read the chlorine sensing systems available are temperamental and require a lot of maintenance. I am looking at automatic dispensing systems such as steener pump and SWG but trying to educate myself before making a significant purchase. I am new to owning a pool and do not know much, and have been told many things that are incorrect and made some poor decisions. In the interim I need to have a dispensing system as I can not be at the pool enough to correctly maintain manually. At present my CYA is at 40 and I am using trichlor in the 320 chlorinator and as I start to reach 60 will have to pump out water. But until I decide on the best system for me I think this is best unless I can rig up a temporary system that is fairly cheap and willing to toss when I decide on the best system. As for the chlorinator 320 what are you talking about when you say "residuals left over in the chlorinator" I do not understand. This may best be taken care of by starting new thread but I do not know how to do that and still contact you. I am still trying to find out how to be notified when someone comments on my threads but again that is off topic also.

With the 320 already installed it makes the Stenner option really easy. I installed mine this weekend, took a couple of hours and that included multiple trips to my tool box and some thinking. There isn't much that could go wrong, if it does, repairs are cheap and easy. Plus you can still use pucks at the beginning of the season to get your stabilizer up.

See my install http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...-in-line-puck-chlorinator?p=863787#post863787
Mixing pucks and liquid chlorine in the feeder is a bad idea, very possibly a dangerious idea.

I agree with Tim. This seems like a REALLY bad idea where there is much too high of a possibility to accidentally run both types of chlorine with catastrophic results.

I do not think I am out of line by saying that TFP would NEVER recommend this!!!

Mixing any chlorinating chemicals can be dangerous. I can tell stories. I am retired from Hayward but still do consulting work for them like monitoring social media. Yea a 68 year old guy who likes social media, what gives. Hayward makes a Sense and Dispense unit that relies on our control systems to operate. ProLogic, OmniLogic and AquaRite Pro. I am really concerned about what you are doing and the mixing of chemicals. If you want to have a give and take Private message your phone number and I will call. Them post what we talked about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.