Intex Skimmer Problem/Solution

Apr 26, 2015
Leesburg, GA
I recently replaced my Intex AGP with another one due to the support beams rusting out presumably because of the salt water (not using SWG on new pool).

A skimmer did not come with the new pool so I had to adapt the old skimmer to work with the new one. To start with, I had to purchase a new style hangover bracket so it would work with the new, wider, horizontal support beams.

Unlike the older pool, the new pool came with two pump intakes rather than just one intake. This presented a problem because the "suction" of each intake was cut in half due to two intakes versus the one intake on the older pool.

The simplest way to solve the problem for me was to unscrew the cover on one intake and block it off by cramming it full of anything to block the water flow. This obviously increased the water flow through the remaining intake and gave me enough suction power for the skimmer to work.

Has anyone come up with a better solution?

I imagine I could have purchased some short hoses and spliced in a shutoff valve to one of the intakes as I have a few extra since the new pool came with new shutoff valves. Has anyone done something like this and if so, pictures please?

Also, why would some states require two pump intakes rather than one? The only thing I can think of is that they felt the suction was too strong with just one intake and someone's hair could get stuck in it! Seems far-fetched to me but who knows???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.