Pool Cleaner Gets Stuck Under Ladder

May 8, 2007
Nashville, TN
I recently received one of the 4-wheel suction pool cleaners for Christmas it seems to do a good job cleaning our pool. However, the ladder in the shallow end is just high enough (12-15" or so) to allow the cleaner to wedge itself under the ladder and get stuck. My ideas where to either somehow attach a 'U' shaped section of PVC to the bottom of the stairs to prevent it from getting under or maybe hanging something off the bottom rail of the stair. Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this?

Riles

Hey Riles !!

What kind of cleaner is it. We have the same trouble with ours getting caught under our stairs as well (Wedding Cake style) ! During opening this year I am planning on going to Lowes or Home Depot and getting a clear piece of plastic about 6" wide or so ( I measured once in the fall when the steps came out and forgot the numbers :shock: ) ..... but anyway I am planning on attaching it to the front of the steps at the base with stainless screws in hopes this will solve the trouble. We have the "Zippy" pool cleaner and I actually like it a lot. We used to have the Polaris and was a piece of junk !

What can you use to go between the handrail and the lowest step (concrete step) to stop it from wrapping around the hand rail? It would have to go between the vertical wall of the step and the vertical portion of the handrail. The handrail is one of those round, stainless types.

fofa said:
What can you use to go between the handrail and the lowest step (concrete step) to stop it from wrapping around the hand rail? It would have to go between the vertical wall of the step and the vertical portion of the handrail. The handrail is one of those round, stainless types.

Nothing comes to mind, but you might adjust the "butt jet" on the Polaris towards the "up" position to keep it from climbing on the step. Also, push the head float a little more forward towards the mast, too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Climbing is not an issue, the handrail enters the floor of the pool about 12 inches (give or take) from the base of the bottom step, the cleaner has a tendency to wrap it's hose around it, so I have to block it from going between the handrail and the step.

I understand now. Many of the deck-to-pool rails end on the bottom step, so I was suggesting not letting it climb on that step. In your case, that is apparently not relevant. I don't know how your configuration, can you post a pic? Depending on where your cleaner's wall fitting is, and where the handrail is, you might be able to shorten the hose. Once again, a pic would really help. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.