Pool Light Quandary

Jun 15, 2015
Allen, TX
Can you all help me figure this out? Recently I installed a Hayward fixture into the niche in the wall of my pool. In reality this fixture has sat in my garage for several years but was uninstalled. I turned it on the first time and it works. Then after several day it stops working. I get my multimeter out and see that I have power on the hot to ground but none on the neutral to ground. I figure the bulb has burned out, a standard household 300 watt flood. I pull the fixture, remove the bulb and try it in a lamp in the house. The bulb works. I reinstall the bulb and then the fixture. It works and does so for a day or so when it stops. I repeat the cycle of test with multimeter, uninstall, test, reinstall. It works. Last night it stops working again. I have not yet uninstalled but I checked with the multimeter. Same results.

I am presuming that my fixture is bad. However, before I buy a new one I thought I would check and see if I am missing something.

Rich

It sounds like the fixture is bad. Was there any moisture in the light? Is the GFCI tripping? Lastly most makes of pool lights have a low water cut off sensor. If the sensor is bad, the light will exhibit the behavior you are describing. Lastly, make sure every electrical connection is clean. Be careful, make sure any cut off switch to the light is really cutting the power; for safety sake.

Your neutral is supposed to be connected to the ground at the panel, so lack of voltage between hot and neutral would indicate a wiring problem. Check your neutral connection in the main panel, and sub-panel and at any junction boxes or switches in your lighting circuit.

JohnT and O.P.M. thanks for the replies. I think the fixture is toast. The GFI is not tripped. The fixture is dry when I open it and I have power down to the direct connection to the light. And the light is submerged 100% of the time.

Your neutral is supposed to be connected to the ground at the panel, so lack of voltage between hot and neutral would indicate a wiring problem. Check your neutral connection in the main panel, and sub-panel and at any junction boxes or switches in your lighting circuit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.