What gives? Am I doing it wrong???

May 22, 2013
St Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
OK... I originally thought what was left after initial open was dirt sediment (we had a deck installed & the kids would run thru the demolished grass area to get to the pool), however... upon further TFP forum searching, I have come to the realization it is most likely dead algae. Fine.. another SLAM needed. For the last 3 days, I've kept the FC at 22. I even ordered a fresh TFT refill kit - just in case my liquids were "old". Today, the water seems less clear (not exactly cloudy.... just less clear), and I still have the same amount of brown "dead algae" in the corners & crevices. What am I doing wrong?? ... or not doing??

Today's test results:
FC: 22
pH: 7.1 (lowered from 8.0 3 days ago)
TA: 90 (lowered from 110 3 days ago)
CYA: 90 (up from 55 3 days ago.. been struggling to get this right this year!)
Salt: 3,400 ppm (tested with Taylor Sodium Chloride drop test)

I should also mention, I am just outside of STL, where we have had a CRAZY amount of rain this past week+, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

Thanks!!!

If you CYA is 90ppm, then you FC level is no where near the required shock level. See the FC/CYA Chart.

Although there is no reason the CYA should have jumped from 55 to 90 in 3 days unless you have added stabilizer or been using Dichlor or Trichlor powdered chlorine.

How have you been adding chlorine for the SLAM?

Yes... I'm adding stabilizer. When we first opened Memorial Day weekend, it was so low it didn't register. Finally getting it to where it should be!

OK.. I'll recalculate to proper SLAM levels now. What should I expect to see tonight/tomorrow AM? A boat-load of brown dead stuff?? LOL

Yes... I'm adding stabilizer. When we first opened Memorial Day weekend, it was so low it didn't register. Finally getting it to where it should be!

OK.. I'll recalculate to proper SLAM levels now. What should I expect to see tonight/tomorrow AM? A boat-load of brown dead stuff?? LOL
Actually, if you're following the SLAM instructions and keeping FC up at 35 through replenishment several times daily and running the filter and brushing, you'll probably see a lot of greyish white sediment and possibly cloudy water as the microscopic algae floating in the water dies, gets bleached, and starts to clump. Your filter pressure should have risen quite a lot, too.

If there's any undissolved CYA in the sock, pull the sock and let the stuff dry out. You don;t want CYA to climb any higher.

OK. Bleach just added & CYA sock pulled out (there wasn't much left, but I agree.. don't want it going up any higher). I'll do a nice round of brushing, then will come back in a couple hours to retest (& repost).

Thanks friends!!!

C ~

OH MAN!!! After reading a couple other threads that sound like our issue, someone said they discovered algae inside the light fixtures... !!!!! I never even considered LOOKING at them!! BLECH!! So much algae in there!!!

I got the covers off, but am not sure if I can get the rest out without having to dismantle it... and can I do that while submerged? (I'll upload a pic as soon as I get inside).

Sorry it isn't more clear... my finger is pointing to a small "patch" of algae inside the light. There are a few others around the other side as well... I know the pic LOOKS like the whole thing is green - it isn't. I just couldn't tell how poorly the pic was until after I got inside. :-/ Any thoughts on how to clean this sucker out??

100_0743.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The covers come off... did that (NASTY stuff came out of there!!), but there is also another "layer" of the light, and there's gunk inside it, too. It was just so bright outside, & I was trying to hurry... I didn't make sure the pics were properly lighted or focused. Shame on me... sorry. :(
100_0742.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I have to admit, I'm a little more than excited about this discovery. At least now I know WHY we have this small algae issue... 4 hours ago, I thought it was just "in the water". *facepalm*

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.