Intex SF70110 sand filter pump

Jul 26, 2014
Beverly, MA
I purchased the subject pump to filter the water that collects on my 16 x 32 in ground pool winter cover before sending it into the pool. With the pump sitting on the pool apron, it would not pump the water from the winter cover. My trouble shooting ultimately lead me to place a pail of water next to the pump, place one end of a 4' hose directly to the suction side of the pump (basket housing removed) and the other end into a four gallon pail. I turned the pump on while observing the output side of the pump. It took the pump seven minutes to pump the four gallons from the pail, i.e. 34 gallons per hour. I contacted Intex and they sent me a new pump which pumped no better than the first. Is a .75 HP, 2800 gal/hour above ground pool pump incapable of raising water 20 inches?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The Intex pumps are designed to be below the pool water level. So I am not sure your bucket test was fair since it would have had to try to suck the water up and out of the bucket. They are meant to be flooded with water automatically from the pool, so also not surprising to be that it may not suck water off of the cover ... that is not what the pump was designed for.

As mentioned, that pump, and most AGP pumps are designed to be gravity primed (below the waterline).

Unfortunately you have the wrong tool for the job.

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.