New to Forum

Jan 7, 2009
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and glad to have found it. I was a member on the bbq galore forum before it went down and got alot of ideas from it for planning my kitchen. I have been in the process of planning and saving for components for a while now. In the last few weeks I have been ordering all the components for the build. Grill, side burner, recessed burner for large pots, sink, doors, trash bin etc. It gets expensive quick.

In preparation for building though I have a question. What size rivets are people using when building with metal studs. I was thinking 3/16" should do it but wondered if that may be overkill and 1/8" be ok.

Please advise.

Thanks
Brad

Bigdawg, where are you getting your grill, sideburner, etc? I was going to start my kitchen this month and use BBQ's Galore Turbo grill, but they closed their doors here in Houston. I checked Ebay, but most are DCS or FireMagic and they are too much $$$ for me

DrDave said:
1/8" rivets are fine. Use SS if possible. If you can't find SS use Aluminum.

Thanks Dave. Yes I was planning to use Stainless ones just wanted to order the right size. I live waterfront on the gulf coast so I buy nothing that is not stainless. It is amazing how fast non stainless metal will rust.

Brad

TexasDude said:
Bigdawg, where are you getting your grill, sideburner, etc? I was going to start my kitchen this month and use BBQ's Galore Turbo grill, but they closed their doors here in Houston. I checked Ebay, but most are DCS or FireMagic and they are too much $$$ for me

Hey TexasDude,

I bought my grill from Lowes. It is a 38" Jenn-Air 304 Stainless drop in unit. I picked it up on clearance for 599.00. It is not the grill I really wanted however since there are alot of costs upfront in building the island my plan is to use it to get the island built then if is does not last replace it in a year or two with something else. I to was leaning toward the BBQ Galore 38" unit but when they started having financial trouble I backed off of that. I went with the Jenn-Air as a temp solution as well because is has the same dimensions as most other 38" grills so replacing is down the road should not be a problem.

As for the rest of the equipment. I bought most of the rest of it from bbqguys.com. 2 21" * 19" and 1 30 * 19" series 300 doors. 1 series 300 Rollout trash bin, 1 Danby Refrigerator and a dual burner Cal Flame side burners. Buying is all together I called them and got a package discount on it all as well as free shipping. Ordered it all Tuesday evening and it was delivered on Thursday. They are based in Baton Rouge and I am in the FL panhandle so it was very fast. They were very easy to work with and have a lifetime warranty on all bbqguys components that they manufacture. I went with the Cal Flame side burner since that is now the grill I am considering replacing the Jenn-Air with if needed.

I also bought a 24" drop down recessed burned with cover for cooking large pots of crawfish/crabs with from texaspitcrafters.com. Again very nice folks and easy to work with. They are located in Pinehurst, Tx. just north of Houston.

I wanted everything on hand prior to starting my build so I could measure it myself and build to what is on hand rather than trying to make it fit.

Hope this helps and let me know if you want more details on any of the equipment I purchased.

I spend last weekend running the gas line, water, electric, cable, cat5 and drain for the island. Now that it is in place I can start building.

Will post pictures as I go.

Brad

Big Dawg
Make sure you take progress pictures as you go. What makes this Forum successfull is the documentation that is shared along with lessons learned. Feel free to ask questions as you go and please offer advice when others need help on something you have experience with. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.