Need some advice, in a battle!

Jun 20, 2015
Atoka, TN
25600 non-SWG AGP
Started Slamming Thursday (Today is Monday) and no noticable changes in water.
Am I being impatient or missing something?

Current:
FC: 14
PH: 7.6
TA: 80
CYA: ~40 (was 30 but added enough to bring to 40 last night)
The pool sits in direct sunlight all day.

I was maintianing 12 or better and havent let the FC drop below 5 since I started.
The overnite test shows FC loss of about 4 ppm. The water in the test tube is clear but I cannot see the bottom.

I just thought by now I would start to notice some improvement. I have been brushing the pool regularly.

Any suggesstions? Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

Are you SLAMing to get rid of algae? How does your chlorine loss between tests now compare to what it was when you first started to SLAM? The first sign that a SLAM is working will be reduced chlorine loss.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

I'm not sure why you raised the CYA during a SLAM, but it it done. Adjust your shock level to 16.

Lets get down to basics, as John asked - why the SLAM? Algae, cloudy water, other reason?
It would help us if you would add the following information to your signature

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post. Signatures need to fit on five lines. It is fine to put several bits of information on the same line.

tommyd901 said:
I was maintianing 12 or better and havent let the FC drop below 5 since I started.
Remember, the most important part of the SLAM is the M for Maintain - as in maintaining FC as close to the shock/SLAM target (16 ppm for your pool) throughout the entire process. Wouldn't sweat it if FC varies a couple of points in either direction of the target, but letting it drop to 5 ppm is not Maintaining FC. The closer you are able to maintain FC to the target, the faster the process will go.

Hey guys, when I started the CYA was slightly less than 30 so I used 30 and according to shock level for my pool it said to keep 12.
The one time drop to 5 was during the day so I know sun was a big factor. I can test morning and evening but working during the day does not allow me to stand by all day, the day I started the SLAM I kept it up hourly until there was no real drop during that hour then I moved to 2-3 times a day. Since it was the weekend I was able to test it throughout the day and kept it up to 12. Last night I increased the FC to 19 just in case this is yellow algae but have no specific reason to suspect it is. This morning it was at 14 so I didn't add anymore, I just added CYA last might to get over 30 since it was reading slightly less than 30 (the black dot disappeared when the water was at the top).
I will test and add bleach when I get home. I regularly brush (twice a day) and removed what debris I could find.

I am using the taylor k-2006 test kit and have a large sand filter on a 2HP pump. I have backwashed then rinsed every other day or so.

I started the slam just after opening because of green cloudy water. Algae was visible on the bottom.
In my top post I noted Non-SWG AGP. I will add to signature
I have a vinyl liner
2Hp Smith pump with big blue (swim pro) sand filter, hard piped, city water, no restrictions.

the day I started the SLAM I kept it up hourly until there was no real drop during that hour then I moved to 2-3 times a day. Since it was the weekend I was able to test it throughout the day and kept it up to 12.

Pretty well perfect way to SLAM. There are two pieces to clearing a pool of algae: First is killing the algae. Seems like you have done that. Second is cleaning out the dead algae. That can be a little slower.

Are you seeing a pressure rise in your filter before you backwash? If not, let it go a little longer since a slightly dirty sand filter is a little better at filtering than a clean one. You can also add a little DE to your filter to make it filter a little better too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
25600 non-SWG AGP
Started Slamming Thursday (Today is Monday) and no noticable changes in water.
Am I being impatient or missing something?

Current:
FC: 14
PH: 7.6
TA: 80
CYA: ~40 (was 30 but added enough to bring to 40 last night)

Any suggesstions? Thanks

Just a quick suggestion---don't waste your reagents for ph/TA at this point...also, I'd probably stop testing CYA too, assume you've hit your your target of 40. Ph tests aren't reliable above FC of 10, and you can't do much about it now anyway mid-slam.

Sounds like your in the same rut as me.

Speaking of levels... did you know you can test using 10 ml of water and have each drop count as .5? Speeds it up and saves reagents. Also, you don't need two full scoops of powder. As long as you add enough to se one or two undissolved crystals after mixing it, you have enough. -Richard

That helped me and I'm already out and had to order more after this weekend.

We like to start a slam at 7.2. But, at the point 7.6 was read the FC was above 10 and therefore the PH test is not valid and no adjustments to PH should be made.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.