help 2 out of 4 skimmers not working and algae

Jun 22, 2015
sassari
Hello, some friends have a swimming pool with some problems, first, two out of four skimmers are not working at all, the people who built the pool told they need to dig in the wall and get under those skimmers for getting it back to work, I made some research and that makes no sense to me as there is no water leak nor cracks inside those skimmers. It seems they only wanted to sell costly repair, anyway nothing was done and the skimmers are not working. What can I try to get them back alive? Any suggestion? I read problem could be air in the line or a clogged line or even a pump that doesn't work well (but since it worked at first I don't think that's the case, or maybe the filter has to be replaced?), anyway do you agree there is probably no need to demolish anything? Also there is green algae that returns every week, I read about the phosphates and I think that could be because of the backwater in those skimmers and also on the back of the lamps which are both not working and were never replaced.. I disassembled one and there was green algae there too..
What do you think? Thanks

Hello and welcome to TFP! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. Yes, trying to dig under concrete to get to the skimmers would probably be pricey and/or is a bit labor intensive. First, let's make sure you have this link: Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks. It will help you try to isolate a leak on the suction side if there is one.

When you say the skimmers are not working, we assume you mean no pull of water at all correct? The weir (flaps) are okay? If there is no pull of water, but you are getting water to the pump from other skimmers, I might be inclined to think there is an obstruction in those two skimmer pipes only. Have you tried to check for any obstructions yet? Running a "snake", or using an air bladder to force air through? Perhaps running a hose backwards and trying to force water pressure the other way? Just some thoughts. If you have any pics of your equipment that may help.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.