New pool installed. chlorine question

Jun 21, 2015
Painesville Ohio
Hey everyone, just installed a 21x52 deluxe 8000. Cartridge filter, 1.5hp 2 speed pump, Taylor DPS test kit... So my initial readings

0 FC
7.4 ph
90 TA
0 CC
0 CYA

So after my initial shock ( 100oz) my chlorine disappeared basically immediately. I raised the CC to 200ish.. Put in a trich tab and I'm still getting nothing on my FC.. Did some research and realized my CYA of zero could be causing this.. What is odd to me is when I tested cholorine in the AM before work and got zero I forgot to pour out my sample and put it back in the case.. When I went to test after work I took the tube out and was showing like 5ppm FC from my morning sample.. Poured that out and tested again and got zero.. Basically why when I do initial test get zero but 8 hours later same exact sample reads 5 or so ppm? I'm currently got a tube sock with 2ibs CYA in front of my return assuming my initial reading is the accurate one and I'm losing all my chlorine.. I'll stop the trich tabs as soon as my CYA gets up then go to bleach, just wanted to no if I'm doing this right

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I stopped reading when you said eight hours later. The tests we are comfortable with are meant to be performed "right now" (within 10 minutes) and any results after that are disregarded as fiction....complete fiction.

OK, that's done. What does your water look like? Can you post current test results...not what was but what is tonight?

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I stopped reading when you said eight hours later. The tests we are comfortable with are meant to be performed "right now" (within 10 minutes) and any results after that are disregarded as fiction....complete fiction.

OK, that's done. What does your water look like? Can you post current test results...not what was but what is tonight?

Ok glad to hear that the same water 8 hours later is useless, was confusing me why it was showing chlorine... Right now my readings are the same as my initial readings I posted accept I have the calcium up to 200ish instead of zero. Water is crystal clear. TA may have dropped slightly to 85... Just no chlorine, I'm adding CYA right now.. PH still 7.4ish

Welcome to TFP!

Calcium is CH, calcium hardness not CC combined chlorine.

Something is in your water consuming chlorine and you need to get ahead of it fast before the pool turns green. Read the Chlorine CYA Chart and keep your chlorine level at or slightly above target for your CYA level. And never let it drop below minimum or your pool will not be properly sanitized and algae will grow.

Please add your pool info to your signature so we can better help you, more here: Pool School - Getting Started

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.