Moved to a (new to me) house and got a pool

Jun 21, 2015
Houston, TX
hello All,

been reading for a while and finally joined after fighting algae this week due to T/S Bill rains that filled the pool. I am going to have tons of questions as the wife thinks we are spending too much money at the pool store every week. Biggest issue now is I bought a test kit before reading here, so I own the DPD complete test kit ..... will ask in another room but hoping I can just buy the FCA test?? Will update signature as I get to know my stuff better.

Welcome! :wave:

Odds are, you have the K-2005 test kit. Has the three bottles of chlorine reagents, three for ph and acid & base demand, TA, CH, and CYA. If so, all you need to add is this: TFTestkits.net

If you have some lesser kit, you might as well just spring for a whole kit because the missing reagent refills will add up to close to the same.

If you need help identifying your equipment, check Pool School - Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment

Something to share with the wife: Cost benefit analysis!!

Welcome! You're wife is probably right about spending a lot at the pool store.

Prepare to save a lot of money with TFPC.

Enjoy the site!

ok test kit arrived -- now my numbers and my issue

I finally got the right test kit. So here are my numbers for my salt pool i now own.
Numbers :
FC= 1.0
CC= 1.0
TC = 2.0 (right add the 2 above together)
PH = 8.0 === takes 3 drops to get to 7.6
TA = 140
CH= 150
CYA = 50

if I brush bottom a get some green puffs, nothing on sides.
I have a vacuum but it's the robot kind so only going thru a filter not connect to my cartridge filter which was just cleaned and shows no psi gain/loss..

Do I need a slam?
Do i need to buy a vacuum that attaches to skimmers.
Should note I have a ton of trees that over hang my pool -- and i try to clean them out every night --- but houston has been getting alot of rain lately..

Also I have my filter and SWG running 6 hours at nigh and 6 hours during the day at 90% with no increase or hold in cholorine level.

So lost......

Re: ok test kit arrived -- now my numbers and my issue

I finally got the right test kit. So here are my numbers for my salt pool i now own.
Numbers :
FC= 1.0
CC= 1.0
TC = 2.0 (right add the 2 above together)
PH = 8.0 === takes 3 drops to get to 7.6
TA = 140
CH= 150
CYA = 50

if I brush bottom a get some green puffs, nothing on sides.
I have a vacuum but it's the robot kind so only going thru a filter not connect to my cartridge filter which was just cleaned and shows no psi gain/loss..

Do I need a slam?
Do i need to buy a vacuum that attaches to skimmers.
Should note I have a ton of trees that over hang my pool -- and i try to clean them out every night --- but houston has been getting alot of rain lately..

Also I have my filter and SWG running 6 hours at nigh and 6 hours during the day at 90% with no increase or hold in cholorine level.

So lost......

Anyone??

Yes, you need to SLAM. The recurring algae on the floor and the CC level of 1 indicate it. Adjust pH to 7.2 and then hit ot with bleach. Keep it around 20 FC as consistently as you can and don't neglect brushing and cleaning out ladders, stairs, light niches, wherever algae could be lurking.

I'm unfamiliar with the robot vacuums -- how fine they filter -- so I have no advice there. Any chance you could just borrow a vacuum head and a hose from a neighbor?

So, having FC at 1 (below min), CC of 1 and puffs of algae definitely are all indications of needing to SLAM. FC should never be allowed to drop below minimum for your CYA or algae will start growing and the pool is not properly sanitized. Here is the chart showing the levels, Chlorine CYA Chart

Another way to confirm if a SLAM is needed is to raise FC to 10ish and Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

ok so I start my Slam the night I got my test.... got levels up per the charts and other links..... FC target was 20 I over shot and got 24...
Brushed pool and Ran cartridge filter all day yesterday, got home last night from work pouring rain, after rain ended I set up the robot vacuum.... ran it for about 6 hours... retested before bed at 10pm --- FC 18 --- raised to FC 20 again......left filter on.....
So up this morning at 730am
pool very clear and here is my numbers
FC:20
CC: 0.5
TC:20.5
PH off chart ---- expected until FC below 10
TA 160
CH 140
CYA 60

So I think I have passed the OCLT test by accident...??
So do I let the pool run with the SWG off continue brushing and re-run the OCLT again tonight?
Also can you buy CYA re-agent in bulk?
If I pass again tonight I believe I need to work on the following : get pool to FC 4 ; lower the TA?? up the CH to 300; up CYA to 70-80 then get my salt back to 3200

Thoughts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you measure 20 FC last night, or target it?

If it was measured and remeasured, then you passed OCLT. If it was what you targeted, you might not have. You could have overshot a little and had a large drop and only think you passed the test. Don't be in too big a hurry to end the SLAM, or you'll be one of the many threads wherein the poster says they slammed two weeks ago and it's getting cloudy again.

Unless you're adding CYA, you don't need to keep retesting it. You really don;t need to test anything but FC & CC until the SLAM is finished. FC will come down quickly with sunlight. Once it gets below 10, then start fine-tuning things.

So I targeted 20 the morning of the slam --- did my stuff went to work ---- came home re-brushed and vacuumed and then tested got FC of 20 ---- then up approx 8 hours later and got 20 again....... right now pool is running on filter --- thinking I let it run all day --- re test this evening (am sure I will lose FC due to sunlight) then run the OCLT again tonight..... trying to have pool open for guests tomorrow..... thoughts?

So I targeted 20 the morning of the slam --- did my stuff went to work ---- came home re-brushed and vacuumed and then tested got FC of 20 ---- then up approx 8 hours later and got 20 again....... right now pool is running on filter --- thinking I let it run all day --- re test this evening (am sure I will lose FC due to sunlight) then run the OCLT again tonight..... trying to have pool open for guests tomorrow..... thoughts?
The OCLT doesn't have to be done at shock level. Provided there is no more cloudiness after brushing, you can consider the water clear and just take a reading after dark. As long as it's somewhere in the 10 range, it's enough. Run the OCLT, and if it passes, just let FC drift down. On the plus side, most of us bump the FC level up 2 or 3 above normal target before a major swim party, so you're already a step ahead.

Yeah, looks like you did pass on accident - awesome. I would leave the SWG off and redo the OCLT tonight. That way you will have confidence you passed. If you haven't pulled the light from the niche it is worth effort to remove any residual algae from that.

If you pass again:
- Let FC drift to below 10, retest ph
- Adjust ph to ~7.5 (or less, see TA below)
- Add enough CYA to get to 70 from 60 ppm CYA. Note shoot for 80 if you get a lot of direct sun on the pool.
- Add enough salt to get to minimum SWG levels
- Turn on SWG once you get to around 6 ppm FC
- Fine tune SWG percentage to try and maintain that 6 ppm (easier to dial in when you aren't flirting with algae near the minimum)
- Once you find the right SWG % to meet your daily loss, reduce to target of 4 ppm FC

As you probably know, when you are running the SWG consistently you will need to monitor the ph closely. As ph rises near 7.8, use muriatic acid (MA) to reduce to 7.2 and repeat. This process will lower your TA over time helping slow the ph rise. I see you have an aerator - you can use this expedite lowering your TA. Just reduce ph to 7.2 then aerate until ph rises then lower it back to 7.2 with MA and repeat until ph stops rising quickly or TA is around target.

Once those (FC, salt, ph) are stable then dial in CH. Note - you can raise the CH anytime, it is pretty straightforward. TA is definitely the harder/longer one to adjust since aeration and ph lowering (with MA) is the only way to affect it.

What swg (model, size) are you running?

Ok Ran the OCLT again last night no loss in FC which is awesome.
THANK YOU FORUM my friends and family can swim today ......
Current #
FC 15
CC 0.5
PH -- needs 4 drops to get to 7.4
TA 140
CH 150
CYA 60

my SWG is a Hayward (everything is) T-Cell-15 says up to 40k/gal pools.

What is the best way to test salt at home? My display says I am 2800ppm would like to confirm that.
Oh and how do I post pictures?

So plan is tonight to test again -- i think I should drop 5ppm in the texas sun with a couple people in pool...
then adjust PH and FC for 6ppm...
Can I start adding CYA now?
Also I have a bottle of Leslie's Perfect weekly -- what does it do if anything--- wife hates seeing me waste stuff...

Sweet! Swim time! :paddle:

Don't know about leslie's perfect weekly, if it isn't on this list then it isn't in my pool, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

You can get a couple of salt tests at TFTestkits.net, be aware that salt tests are not all that accurate and are really just a sanity check that your swg isn't off by 1000 ppm or something. Most salt tests are +/-400 ppm. When SWGs start to fail one of the telltale signs is inaccurate salt level readings. But, generally if the SWG is happy and making chlorine then life is good.

With plans to spend a LOT of time in the pool this weekend my FC is right at 10ppm. 10.5 to be exact! :) I've got 4 or 5 bottles of bleach ready to go for the weekend. I will run FC up to 10 ppm 2 or 3 times per day to make SURE I never drop FC anywhere near minimum.

Remember, it is safe to swim when FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart