Try this website

Jan 7, 2009
Hello everybody,

I've created a website about pool maintenance for a project I have to do in school. I've pulled information off this website and a few others and compiled it into my website. If you have any problems with your pool or have the time to go look at my website, please visit my website and look through it. Whenever you're done, go to the contact me page and take a quick 6 question survey. Feel free to criticize my website. Part of my grade depends on it.

Here is the link to the website:
http://www.itgs.cchs-ib.com/phillip/index.html

Difficult to read and to navigate. Also the information is inconsistent and not that good. One of the first rules of creating webpages that I learned back in the old days when the net was really only being used by geeks (yes I am one!) was that you NEVER use the words "here" or "this page" in a hyperlink.

For example, on your Pool Equipment Problems page, instead of saying "If you have no idea what I'm referring to when I say skimmer or O-ring, try looking at the picture on this page to get the general idea of what I'm going for. " and making "this page" the hyperlink you could just say "If you do not know what a skimmer or O-ring is then this picture will be helpful" and hyperlink the phrase "this picture". It is much more natural reading.

Sorry to say that your site is not that great and not in a professional class of webdesign at all. It's really rather amateurish.

waterbear said:
Difficult to read and to navigate. Also the information is inconsistent and not that good. One of the first rules of creating webpages that I learned back in the old days when the net was really only being used by geeks (yes I am one!) was that you NEVER use the words "here" or "this page" in a hyperlink.

For example, on your Pool Equipment Problems page, instead of saying "If you have no idea what I'm referring to when I say skimmer or O-ring, try looking at the picture on this page to get the general idea of what I'm going for. " and making "this page" the hyperlink you could just say "If you do not know what a skimmer or O-ring is then this picture will be helpful" and hyperlink the phrase "this picture". It is much more natural reading.

Sorry to say that your site is not that great and not in a professional class of webdesign at all. It's really rather amateurish.
While I agree with your design comments, this site is done by a high school student. Shame on you Waterbear :hammer: for bringing down a 16 year old budding pool boy! If every 16 yr old knew what he knew about pool maintenence and learning web design, look how much better this world would be! vi3tninja72, just keep trying! Never give up! :goodjob:

I didn't mean to be harsh but I understand that you are trying to create a good web page. I have been coding HTML for many years and there are a few important things to consider, IMHO. (My previous job included creating and maintaining the webpages for an online retail establishment for 10 years, complete with shopping cart and database of inventory--books and music, not to mention ebay sales!)
First, you need good information on your page.
Second, it should be easy to read and not wordy.
Third, it should be easy on the eyes (remember that not all displays are created equal and there should be enough contrast between the text and background -- some of the wost sights I have seen use purple, brown or blue text on a black background!)
Forth, it should be easy to navigate and accessable. Hyperlinks are useful but don't have too many of them and if when they take you to a different page be sure to include a link to take you back to where you were!)
Fifth (and probably the MOST important), it should render correctly in ANY browser, inlcuding LYNX (text only browser). Also remember that a lot of visually impaired people use a screen reader like Window Eyes or Jaws to read the screen so if you hyperlink to pictures or have link buttons be sure to include the alternate text tags. For more information you can visit http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/abdesign.html
Hope this is helpful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.