Salt vs Chlorine

Jun 8, 2015
Valencia
Hi all. Finally taking the plunge and putting in a pool next week. This site is great, full of tips and insights so here every day. Can I ask you all for some advice on which system to install? The cost to convert to salt is minimal but is it worth it? I remember the old days where we all got a green tint with Chlorine and the red eyes. Is there an advantage one way or another. Looking for advice.

PS. I'll be sure and post some pics since we are tearing up a basketball court covering an existing pool which was damaged from the '94 Northridge quake in California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Understand, Salt IS chlorine. Through a chemical reaction the salt is converted to chlorine. During the sanitation process the chlorine is then broken back down into salt and the cycle repeats.

Stinging red eyes is more of a problem with the pH.

I'm afraid to tell you what the green tint might have been;)

My pool build isn't even complete yet, so I'm obviously not an expert. But..... maybe I can help by sharing my reasons for going with the SWG system.

From what I understand from TFP and my own research, the two different systems (using chlorine bleach and using a salt system to create the chlorine for sanitization) are pretty fairly comparable in costs and effectiveness in making sure the water is chemically safe for swimming.

My reasons for choosing the SWG:

1. I'd never heard of it until I swam all last summer in a friend's pool - about 4-5 times a week. I thought he must have some new form of chlorine (Ha, like there is a way to create a new molecular structure!), because the water felt so nice and silky while in the water.

2. My hair and swimsuit didn't smell of chlorine. **

3. My skin didn't itch and feel exceptionally dry. **

4. I never coughed or had asthma symptoms after swimming there. (always did growing up swimming in "chlorine" pools - just thought it was allergies from something in the grass, etc).

5. Soooo many people claim the SWG system is easier maintenance since you aren't manually adding chlorine on a regular basis. Of course there are others who believe the chlorine system is just as easy.

** From what I've read (not experience), these things won't occur if the water of the chlorine system is properly balanced and maintained. It seems the best way to do that is to follow the methods explained here on TFP (and less expensive, too!)

I guess for the me, the main reasons were for the feel of the water and the hope of a little less maintenance (I'll take all the help I can get).

There are downsides to the SWG system, but those are also debated. I'll let the people with experience on the negatives of a SWGS explain those.

Hope this helps a little! Take care, and again, so glad you're here!! Suz

For me the main benefit of a SWCG is convenience. It's nice not to have to manually add chorine everyday. When I go on vacation, I don't worry about returning to a green pool.

A couple seasons ago, my main pump died. I had to manually chlorinate for about 10 days until a new pump arrived. Even manually chlorinating for just 10 days was a pain, UMO, compared to the convenience of the SWCG. I was so glad to have my SWCG back online!

For reference, I've had the SWCG for 11 years.

As was mentioned, a properly chlorinated, balanced pool according to the methods taught here will not result in the problems you mentioned, no matter if you manually chlorinate or use a SWCG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are pros and cons to both. No one is better than the other as I heard horror stories both ways.
Well, that sort of has a negative connotation. I am sure what was meant is that while there are some stories of failure (not willing to learn), there are also stories of remarkable success.

It all costs about the same in the end. Your pool needs chlorine everyday. You can buy liquid chlorine/bleach and add it every day. You can buy an SWG and it will make chlorine every day. Or you can use a Stenner pump or Liquidator to add liquid chlorine/bleach automatically every day.

We have lots of people doing all of the above here at TFP. Most are happy with what they have and will say they wouldn't have it any other way.

Like me, I am on my second SWG pool and my next one will be saltwater too.

Three easy steps:
1) Understand each
2) Choose wisely
3) Enjoy

Like one of the above mentioned posters, I liked the feel of the SWG pool; although it might be because I had only swam in over chlorinated pools in the past.

For my busy lifestyle, it has been great. My pool did get an algae outbreak, but that was due to my lack of knowledge on pool chemistry (testing ph regularly, FC/CYA levels, CSI, etc.). Now that I am a TFP convert, I have my SWG dialed in and my FC level stays pretty constant. I still test at least every other day since I'm a newbie, but so far it has maintained well and I'm learning when to adjust the %output based on TX seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a SWG and love it but I think the real game changer has been the borax we're using. I've never felt pool water so refreshing and clean feeling. Everyone thinks it's the salt that makes the water feel great, but I don't tell them our little laundry detergent secret.

While my new pool isn't quite finished (initial fill happening RIGHT NOW), I can offer my motivation for going with the SWCG. Salt water generators help break down the cloramides that are the main contributors to the "chlorine smell" and red eyes typically associated with having a pool. I am hoping that I will be able to keep these CCs down to basically undetectable levels without too much intervention.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.