can this diving board be saved?

brackishpoolboy

May 16, 2009
THis diving board was installed prior to our buying the house 10 yrs ago. The bolts got pretty rusted and I removed them (hacksaw) and was surprised to see that the core of the board is wooden, but the rearmost wood has rotted out where water got to it through the bolt holes. The fiberglass is a bit chewed up too.

20150607_180838_zps0feviigs.jpg

20150607_181044_zps1unpxn6p.jpg

20150607_180857_zps9iuo0tif.jpg

20150607_180932_zpsiwmexspz.jpg

20150607_180938_zpszm9lg0zy.jpg

I have several questions:

1. Can I just reinstall the board as is, without regard for the rotted wood? The place where the board makes contact with the support is pretty solid.

2. Should I consider filling the void with fiberglass resin where the wood has rotted? Would it be brittle without glass and just crack and fall out over time?

3. What are the pair of more rearward holes for? They had bolts in them too, but obviously weren't attached to anything. They aren't for an alternative support location, because the contour of the underside of the board was clearly made for attaching to a support using the more forward pair of holes

4. A pressure washing is obviously in order, but prior washings haven't done much to clean the board, even with jomax. If I paint it, what paint to use? Will that "smooth over" the grit that keeps divers from slipping?

Thanks

BPB

- - - Updated - - -

Whole pool photo

IMG_5220.jpg

a few more questions (for now)

If a replacement board is needed, is aquaboard my only option, or is the mounting configuration universal, and used by many manufacturers?

A recent addition makes the long board inconvenient in using the deck area around it. I see many types of shorter boards with different mounts, including raised single platform mounts, that look more appealing. Can these platform mounts be retrofitted into an existing concrete deck? How does one remove the old "U" mounts (hacksaw and some concrete filler?). Getting a bit ahead of myself, and price is an object, so. . . I'll likely just replace the board if needed, but checking my options.

Thanks again!!

- - - Updated - - -

wow, y'all replied fast. I'll check the links and see aobut replacing the board. I'm rather indifferent to the family's safety, but I use the board too.;)

Happy Father's Day!!

You could try a penetrating epoxy in the rotten wood. Something like "Git Rot" comes to mind. And you you could repair the fiberglass. With that said; for safety reasons I agree with the others and I wouldn't do it. Even though I've done fiberglass repair something about the dynamic loading on a diving board makes me very cautious of a repair job.

My board is a 12 footer, so a six footer wouldn't even get me out over the water! And S.R. Smith only makes them out to 10'. I'll keep looking, but I suspect that the cost will put me in range to start all over if it would make sense space-wise and installation-wise.

I'm pretty handy tool-wise, and I'm not afraid (not another project?! (wife))

Thanks, and more comments appreciated

BPB

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.