How to remove Thompson's Water Seal from pool water

May 25, 2014
Summerdale, AL
My husband sealed our pool deck with Thompson's Water Seal and sprayed it on instead of brushing it on. Apparently, the mist of it got in the pool water. I have been running the pool pump non-stop since noticing the oily feeling in the water and on the surface yesterday. When I felt the water this morning, it still feels oily. What can I do to get the oil out or is there a product I can put in to help?

I just added some Clorox Natural Clarifier to the water. It says to run the pump for 8 hours. I've had it running for over 24 hours already. The pool is just as clear as a bell but still has an oily feel to it. I think the clarifier is supposed to cause the oil particles to clump together and become larger so they will either filter out or go to the bottom of the pool to be vacuumed out. I will see what it looks like and feels like tomorrow morning. As far as overflowing the pool, the oil sheen isn't on the top anymore since I've been running the pump non-stop, although that could work possibly. I just don't know. I'm going to see what the clarifier does and will go from there.

I think clarifier's only work on tiny solid particles. Oil is not a solid, it's a liquid, so it will have no effect. Suggest you follow the previous sage advice of using an enzyme cleaner which is intended to break down oil based materials.

The bottle says it eliminates oils and scum so that is why I chose a clarifier and not enzymes. Enzymes supposedly would not work in this case because they only work on organic compounds, which this oil isn't. This is what I was told by a rep from In The Swim.

I find the In-the-Swim catalog a hoot to read for all the outrageous claims made for many of their products. You should take their advise with a liberal grain of salt over any of the posters here. By the way, the bulk of oils in this world are organic compounds so I'm not sure why he claims that oils are not organic. Simply Google "Are oils organic compounds?" to find out for yourself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.