FC question

Can chlorine test wash out or white out if levels are too high? Walked out one day and water was super cloudy. Being as I was leaving for a few days I ran a max time boost cycle, when I came back water was crystal clear. Now that I had time to test to see where I was at I started with fc test and added 2 scoops of powder which normally turns pink right away, but it did not. Added a few more scoops per instructions but only turned a very super light pink which only took 1 drop of R0871 to turn clear. Also tried some test strips I had laying around, same result,white. I am using a Taylor K-2006 kit which is not that old and it stays indoors unless testing. Also it ia a FAS/DPD kit. Thanks for any info. I am scared to let the kids swim untill I get this straight. Note: I believe a max boost cycle is like 48hrs.

I have a hard time imaging your SWCG could have added enough FC in 48 hours to bleach out the FAS-DPD test. I think the FAS-DPD is good up to 50ppm? Perhaps someone with more knowledge about this can chime in.

Given that you said your pool was cloudy, I'm more inclined to think that your FC has been eaten up and you'll need to perform a SLAM. You could try manually adding chlorine (plain bleach) then testing again 30 minutes later to see if you get a FC reading.

Budman, here's a good thread on what you are talking about: The infamous DPD powder question...

At the same time, you are welcome to post a full set of numbers - especially your FC, CC, and CYA if you would like us to give more feedback. It is possible that while you were away the FC simply dropped too low. You "spiked" it when you got back, but maybe it's still struggling. Just a thought.

Thanks guys. The thread on DPD powder was very informative. However, I believe you are both right, my FC is struggling. Tried test again, nothing. Tried an OTO test I had, nothing. Then I turned on my SWG for a while and took a sample right from the front of the jet, turned pink right away. Suppose I need to SLAM cause my SWG is on 8-12 hrs a day and not keeping up and my salt level is at 2800ppm. Will have read up on how to SLAM. Thanks again guys.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.