Father's day Surprise! (sub-tropics)

Jun 21, 2015
TX
Hi friends.

Father's day surprise! Girls dropped off a 20'x'54" Intex Ultra Frame in the back yard with the 12" sand filter combo while we were at boy scout summer camp. Used to have an Easy Set 18'x54" up until 6 years ago when we trashed it after 3 years of clean water that kept leaking at the side-wall through terrible fittings and gaskets. We loved the water after learning how, and upgrading to a bigger pleated filter and pump. This time, with the frame, it looks like ground work is required. I would like to upgrade the filter size and plumbing. Frankly, I would like to spend the next two weeks finalizing equipment upgrades and purchases so that way the equipment stuff will not give me any grief for the next 2-3 years we hope this pool lasts.

Okay, we are headed over to the "SEARCH" button :) to research and verify thoughts thus far:

Ground work research in progress (REQUIRED @ install)
- positioned about 10 feet adjacent to the patio and swing.
- leveling by digging out high spots and for mason sand, not bringing in a truck of dirt? (low spots hold water when it rains hard)
- build upward with 2" mason sand (not using foam here in the sub-tropics
- gorilla pad or commercial landscape cloth I believe with mason sand
- Post uprights need paver bases flush to bottom
- note, would be really cool to bury it halfway if possible somehow.

Re-learning the start up chemical process (REQUIRED @ install):
- raising CYA levels up to 50'ish
- liquid chlorine bleaching (1x week, plus swimmer load dosing). Year round. (Houston, SUB-TROPICS!!!)
- slowly post-install reducing city water alkalinity from 400ppm to <100ppm (cycles of muratic acid, aeration, borax)
- good test kit

Filter pump upgrade research (OPTIONAL):
- 2 speed pump vs stock Intex pump
- Larger sand filter vs Stock Intex sand filter (No tree problems, but don't want to backwash the pool dry)
- quality filter sand, add a little DE to it; vs. stock Intex
- Brand names, Models
- Sizing pump and filter

Plumbing upgrade research (OPTIONAL):
- 2" PVS, soft and hard pipe
- valves, and a few quick connects (sub-tropics here in Houston)
- remote placed pump/filter (long pipe vs long wire runs)
- dual skimmer and returns maybe (20' is borderline dual)
- sidewall skimmer(s)
- Aerator (i.e. cooling, and alkalinity control)

Vacuum
- i.e. functions as a pseudo main drain while sweeping.

Etc. help
- :)

12" 2100 Gal Sand Filter Pump
Item # 28645EG

20150621_105430.jpg

Last edited:
Now it would be a GREAT present IF they also paid someone to dig and level the spot! LOL You and I both know THAT is the hardest!

Do a search on here about leveling. There a many good posts about water levels and such.

You are right------dig high spots down, do NOT fill low spots up.

Knowing about good test kits already! SWEET!

Kim

Thank you friends for the warm welcome.

Skipped leveling dirt with it <2" of level. I'd love it to be level..... "WHEN DADDY???"! We built a 'bunyip' water hose level (SEE PICTURE). The kids plotted out the yard on graph paper. Definitely right at <2" level, and that is within about 2 feet of each side (I know, I should have leveled the such small area!).

I forgot start up shock levels :study: ... Turned GREEN in 6 hours flat! Took 3 days to clear. 2 more days to bring down the CC. All clear now for 2 days. :D

25 Lbs of Zeosand went into the tiny 12" sand filter. Surprisingly 50% of the 50 LB regular pool sand rating is doing a great job (and that is with highly restrictive suction/return.) I might add 10-15 LBS just for fun. Definitively not convinced to up-size the filter as long as we stay ahead of the water.

Burning Eyeballs fixed:

'Solar' Salt. 200 Lbs = 2,000 PPM guess. "The water is soft" :cool:
7.3 PH moved up to 7.6
1 extra day of Shock Level just in case. (I just now learned how to test CC)
Sunscreen in the water, possibly.

Next up .....

Shade, vacuum, skimmer.20150628_101309.jpg20150703_170030.jpg

Last edited:
You did it! I love those those levels! I am glad the kids helped. They learn so much that way.

That shade is awesome. How it is holding up to the rain and wind?

"Thanks DAD! We love YOUR present from us!" LOL

Kim

Kim, the shade is holding up well so far... But, it is very temporary. I am looking at installing a decent DIY 'sail shade' based on setting steel poles into concrete to secure steel cables, and possibly using a used sail boat sail. Right now i am debating buying an Intex SWCG for 15,000 galloms from Walmart for $99. (And a TF kit, a skimmer, vac and pvc).

Brian

Rusted fast! Contemplating restoring the grass or buying new metal and rustproofing them inside and out with epoxy or powder coating.

My wife wants a hot tub for mom and dad only.

I do like the salt water chemistry process which is fantastic!

Attachments

• 20170908_173217-COLLAGE.jpg
    20170908_173217-COLLAGE.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 20

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support