Completed first slam WOOHOO!! THANK YOU TFP!!!

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
I'm one of the many who inherited a pool with MASSIVE CYA when I moved in.

After several partial drains this past winter and trying the bio-active reducer (which didn't do much and ended with mustard algae on steps)
I finally got it down to a "manageable" 70 PPM.

Tuesday I started the slam.

Brushed every day, tested 2-3 times a day, ended up adding about 39 gallons of bleach.

got lots of funny looks/questions at the various grocery stores buying 12 gallons at time lol.

Finally this morning the FC was still above Mustard shock (45ppm FC) and to my delight
the CC was .5 (it had been 3.0 & 2.0 every day this past week.

The instructions & help here was paramount to the success. I was very nervous about
it getting finished in time as I have an open house to sell my home next saturday and
have scheduled plumbing/pump repairs for monday to fix a few leaks and a non functioning
check valve.

BIG THANKS!

Passed the OCLT 2 days in a row and the water is the most clear I have ever seen since winter (kept it open). open house to sell saturday & sunday.

Also had a reputable pool service come in and fix a few small leaks....pump room floor is bone dry now since the guy fixed them.

I'm REALLY going to miss this pool but the next house I buy will definitely have a large enough backyard for a 15k vinyl in ground.

Kim, not only will I leave the TF-100 for them I have also written a 3 page "care and operation" manual (all TFP standards)
with the TFP business card embedded as well as instructions on proper back washing and operation
of the Solar heating.

I spent hours on it and really went out of my way.

My realtor said I should print 10 copies to have at the open house so anyone who might be skiddish about
owning a house with a pool will be at ease.

Also, this weekend during the open house the weather forecast is 100+ both days!!

First thing they will see by the front door entrace patio window is a sparkling TFP maintained pool to entice! ha ha perfect.

Good job! How are houses selling in your area? Here-------------they are selling within a month IF priced right!

Why are you selling? We plan on staying in ours until they take us out in a pine box! LOL

Kim

I live in one of the hottest real estate markets in the country right now.

Most houses listed are gone within 2 weeks. A lot of them sell over the list price.

Lots of "CASH" buyers from California.

I love this house and this pool, long story short my girlfriend and I broke up
then the taxes went up and I could no longer sustain the mortgage without
eating up my savings account...so I have no choice but to go.

Also I don't really care for the part of town it's in, much rather be back
on the side I lived in previously. Plus it will be a much shorter commute to
my next job.

I am lucky that the market is so on fire otherwise I would probably be
stuck here for a couple more years.

If only I could take the pool with me haha.

But I told my Realtor I won't buy any house that doesn't have room for
an eventual in ground pool installation in the back yard.

I grew up with pools and now that I've had my own for almost a year I really love it.

Oh my! You have THREE big things going on with your life-break up (so sorry that happened), selling/moving, new job!

Your stress levels must be HIGH! I saw pop open a beer and go float and enjoy your pool while you can!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yes indeed...the last few months have been ****, getting everything cleaned up and ready.

The house is pretty big and its been nothing less than a second job to maintain it but
it looks great and has keep me busy which has really helped a lot.

In the last two months though, I always give myself at least an hour with the pool
in the late afternoon each day if its nice. Sometimes with friends and family and sometimes solo.

I have tomorrow off to finish some minor tidy up then it's me and the pool for some quality time :)

Hey Kim, thought you might find this kinda amazing.

My house sold within 11 hours of listing at full list price! and I have 2-3 backup offers if the initial doesn't come through.

The buyer is a capable grandmother, I suspect she will be pool storing the pool but who knows.
I'm still gonna leave her the TF-100 & care instructions.

I found another property where I want to live and it has a perfect amount of
room for an inground pool and solar heating on the garage roof.

fingers crossed I get it.

Haha ya.

It looks like I will have enough left after the downpayment for new place + recoup my savings and have just enough left over to
get a vinyl inground 15,000 gallon rectangle pool installed by next spring.

I love having / maintaining a pool and I know I will be much happier with one, then without.

Hey Kim, thought you might find this kinda amazing.

My house sold within 11 hours of listing at full list price! and I have 2-3 backup offers if the initial doesn't come through.

The buyer is a capable grandmother, I suspect she will be pool storing the pool but who knows.
I'm still gonna leave her the TF-100 & care instructions.

I found another property where I want to live and it has a perfect amount of
room for an inground pool and solar heating on the garage roof.

fingers crossed I get it.

OH "adult word" NO you did not!!!!!!!!!!!! That is unreal! I have NEVER heard of that happening in real life! SWEET!

AND you found another house you like and made an offer? When will you know if they accept your offer!

When is the inspection of your current house?

WOW! Kim

ya it's unreal, but the market was that way last year and this year there is a shortage of
inventory making it even more crazy.

I have made an offer "contingent on my sale" as my realtor put it.

They had a few people say they would like it, but I'm hoping I end up
with it first. the area I'm buying in is not quite as crazy as where I live now...those houses
usually last a few weeks before selling and it just went on the market a few days ago.

Inspection for my sale is some time between wed-fri this week.

Congratulations on the successful SLAM, the hyper-speed sale and finding perfect new digs!!! That is awesome! I second what Kim said. When I bought my first home 3.5 years ago it was very much a buyers market. I happened to stumble onto our perfect house just a few hours after it had been listed... and I new it was going to go fast (it was a traditional sale in a slew of short sales.) My very wise mother suggested that I include a letter with our offer about our difficult house hunt (we'd lost 3 houses within days of closing due to a variety of issues that had nothing to do with us, and by the time we found this house we had just over a month to vacate our rental that was being foreclosed on) and how all of those deals falling through had been a gift that led us THIS house - how much we loved it and how it was everything we wanted in a first home to start our family.

I hand wrote the letter on personal stationary and our realtor drove it to the listing agent who had three other contracts to present to the owner. After closing the listing agent told our realtor that our offer had not been the highest, but that the owner was emphatic about accepting our offer. She even paid for repairs that our financing required, regardless of the fact that the listing said "as is" and she could have backed out.

Why is it that Homeowners, poolowners and mothers always want to share their origin stories?

Anyway... hope everything works out for you - can't wait to see your pool build pictures show up!!!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.