pH creep up too much? TA too low?

Mcmrasek

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 21, 2015
Lees Summit, MO
I've been using Taylor K-2006 testkit and TFP method for about 2 months. Thanks TFP !
My current test results are:
FC: 3.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 50
CH: 300
CYA: 25
Borate: 50

CYA was really high, so in early May, I replaced 80% of water & stopped using Trichlor pucks. CYA now holding at 25, but is that too low?
pH rises about 0.1 daily so, I do add MurAcid every 3-4 days to keep pH 7.2-7.6. Is that daily creep up too much ?
TA seems to be holding well at 50, but will letting it stay that low risk damaging my pool ?

:confused:

How much your FC loss is per day will tell you if you need to raise cya or not.. Anything over 3 or so is high. My cya is 50 couple hours East of you and I still lose 4 ppm per day in full sun. We recommend Ta in the range of 70 to 90 to help stabilize your PH.

My FC loss per day is right at 3, so I'll use Trichlor pucks to get the CYA up to 40-50.

As for the TA . . . per Pool School, I kept TA 70-90 by weekly adding baking soda, but still had a consistent pH creep up of 0.1 daily. Then I read in TFP forum to leave TA alone to see where it naturally levels out. I did and my TA naturally levels out at 50. And my pH creep up is still only at 0.1 daily.
So, if I let TA stay at 50, am I risking damaging the guinite pool ?

You can do the CSI calculations using PoolMath. Assuming 200ppm salt and 88F, your CSI comes out to -0.24 which is considered "Balanced". A CSI lower than -0.3 has the "potential" to etch plaster and anything lower than -0.6 is corrosive to plaster.

You have 50ppm TA and 50ppm borates so it's a bit strange that your pH is rising. Is your pool new or newly plastered? Any forms of constant aeration like bubblers or deck jets? What is your fill water like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pool isn't new and not recently plastered. No aeration but the Kreepy Krauly hose vibrates a lot causing surface breakup.
* Fill water is low pH and TA 30. and CSI is -0.26

Since TA of 50 isn't harmful, I guess I'll just let it be and make sure to keep pH adjusted so CSI does not drop below -0.3.
Thanks for the advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.