Respirator against Chlorine when adding MA?

Jun 21, 2015
Austin, TX
Hi All,

I'm using the TFP method for the pool, and as such, my pH tends to drift up, which I balance with muriatic acid.
For the next batch, I switched to dry acid, but read that it will make the water smell after a while, so I'll switch back to MA.
My problem is, when I add MA, I can often smell the chlorine, as much as I try to avoid breathing it in.

I have been researching this on google, but couldn't find out if the respirators I can buy at hardware stores filter out chlorine or not. I'm quite nervous with adding MA at this point because of the fumes.

Thanks!

I don't think you are smelling chlorine, but the muratic acid. It does have a very strong smell and you should avoid breathing the fumes.

Now, with that being said I like to get in front of a return on my hands & knees and splash a little water on the pool deck. Then open the acid bottle and partially submerge it in the water. Tilt the bottle to pour the acid in at close to water level, but don't let the bottle get submerged. I don't measure because it's an additional step for me to spill the stuff and have to smell it more. Remove the bottle from the water and set it down in the puddle on the pool deck while you replace the cap. Try not to breathe the fumes. Paying attention to the direction the wind is blowing and positing yourself up wind will help. Guess a little low on amount you need, then test again after it circulates well. You can always add more.

I don;'t know of anyone who uses a resparator, so I'm unsure if any are readily available at a reasonable price that would work.

christianday wrote "Got a great 3M vapor mask with cartridges specifically designed to filter acid fumes and the googles to match. This was the first time I could not smell that horrid stuff and now I feel a little better using it

This is the 3M 60923 filter to use. They had a mask at Lowes with those cartridges in it but I can't seem to find it on their site to link. But the filters are pretty interchangeable with the masks from what I could see."

Might work for you???

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/97693-15-7-Muriatic-Acid?p=843589&viewfull=1#post843589

personally, i just measure it out and pour it in. no issues with fumes. i'm weird that way.

note: wind at your side would be more useful than wind at your back. at your back it curls around your body and just brings the fumes towards you. at your side it will carry them away? right?

personally, i just measure it out and pour it in. no issues with fumes. i'm weird that way.

note: wind at your side would be more useful than wind at your back. at your back it curls around your body and just brings the fumes towards you. at your side it will carry them away? right?

Yeah, that is probably right.

I generally measure it out into a 32oz plastic measuring cup (labeled "Pool -- Acid Only"; I have a separate one for chlorine) and depending on the wind then step away for a few seconds while the fumes dissipate before pouring it into the pool. It seems to me that the fumes come from opening the bottle more than having it in the measuring cup. I don't wear a respirator, and I don't bother with gloves anymore, as I'm led to believe that MA on the skin won't do immediate damage; there's time to wash it off in the pool. I do wear eye protection always.

You can also get at HD/Lowes and probably elsewhere 14% concentration MA, much less fuming -- but it's more expensive (I think $12 for 2 gallons of 29%, and $11 for 2 gallons of 14% near me). But if it makes you more comfortable and safer, and more likely to add as needed, a few dollars a month more is worth it. It's often in the same pile, look for the boxes labeled "Pool" vs "Contractor Strength".

If your going to wear a respirator when you use and dispense MA the 3m 60923 cartridge is the correct one to use.
We use that cartridge at my shop for chemical stripping paint and for any type of welding or plasma cutting. Just remember to always store the respirator and cartridges in a sealed ziplock bag or container when it's not in use. Exposure to air constantly reduces the life of them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.