What I've Learned!

Apr 26, 2015
Leesburg, GA
Here is a summary of some of the things I've learned in a short time on this site:

1 - Algae got a foothold and multiplied quickly because I did not check and maintain the recommended FC level often enough (in relation to the CYA level), allowing it to drop too low before boosting it back up. I actually boosted it back up to the low end of the range (being too conservative in chlorine application) rather than the high end, therefore allowing it to drop too low during the day.

2 - I can conserve the powder in my K-2006 test kit because the 2nd dip of powder isn't needed if the sample turns red with the first dipper.

3 - I can conserve even more powder in my test kit via using the 10 ml (0.5 multiplier) level during most of the slam process.

4 - I don't need to purchase "yellow out" from the pool store. I can get rid of algae by slamming.

5 - From direct observation and experience, I've learned that there is something wrong if the water is not crystal clear. It's cheaper/easier to deal with if dealt with sooner, rather than later.

6 - Sunlight eats chlorine (knew that already). Algae eats chlorine also, very quickly if problem is not dealt with quickly.

7 - CYA level determines how much chlorine is needed. Too high a level requires a lot of chlorine...

8 - Most of the powdered sanitizers add stuff to the water, stuff that can build up too much over time. Liquid bleach, although bulky, is simpler and does not add anything significant to water except a small build up of salt level.

9 - Most chemicals that you would purchase in a pool store can be obtained otherwise more economically elsewhere under their chemical name and will do the same job.

10 - A recommended test kit is mandatory to knowing what is going on and developing a successful plan to solve any problems that may arise.

I've learned much more than this but these things are a good start at compiling a list.

That is a stunningly excellent post. It concisely points out the knowledge you can gain here. You empower yourself when you have this knowledge and are no longer dependent on ANYONE to tell you how to manage your pool.

Good job learning a lot here! :goodjob:
You are ready to start answering questions and helping people with their pools!

- - - Updated - - -

number 2 MIGHT need a slight tweak? my understanding is there needs to be a few undissolved crystals in the bottom. so it might be 1 scoop or 2 scoops or somewhere in between...

I believe the directions say that it is OK if there are a few undissolved crystals. But, I am not going to go verify that right now since it is pouring rain outside! Again!

Probably right but I don't sweat it too much if the sample immediately turns bright red with the first scoop. If it does that I'm reasonably sure it will register a good level of FC. If it barely turns red/pink then I know the FC level is probably running towards the low end and I need to be more precise in my test so as to know what the level is, probably using the 25 ml (0.2 multiplier) sample size.

number 2 MIGHT need a slight tweak? my understanding is there needs to be a few undissolved crystals in the bottom. so it might be 1 scoop or 2 scoops or somewhere in between...

Nope no tweaks to that fine post at all. If there are a few undissolved crystals, it is fine. If there are no undissolved crystals it is fine, too.

What you are looking for is enough powder to get to pink. If you can do that your test will work.

That said, in the normal ranges in which we operate one scoop of the TF-100 scoop usually saturates the reagents and there are a few granules left.....ignore them and perform the test.

I do see one tweek that I could make to #3 (I can conserve even more powder in my test kit via using the 10 ml (0.5 multiplier) level during most of the slam process).

While what I said is actually true, I really meant to say that I could conserve some of the R-0871 reagent by using the 10 ml sample amount.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.