salt issues

My pool is 15 years old. Every season I add approx. 500 lbs of salt to raise my salt level to 4500 ppm. This year i have had to add 1200 lbs of salt to attain 4500 ppm. I used Sifto pool salt for this. Now my pool is extremely salty and just not as pleasant to be in. Is it possible to get bad salt? Any ideas would appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Anything is possible, of course. Bad Salt? pretty unlikely.

Most SWG's here in the states operate just fine at lowers levels (3000) than yours.

Is there a reason you are running at 4500?

How were getting your salt levels? I hope from a independent test and not trusting the SWG reading.

When a SWG starts to fail it usually reads a salt level lower than reality. I am guessing that is why you have now likely added way too much salt.

I'm with the others here thinking the OP I getting false low readings from the SWCG. I think the fact that the OP reports the pool is now very salty and unpleasant pretty much confirms the actual salt level is way too high now.

Unless you're replacing all the water in your pool every season there's no way you would need to add 500lbs + every season to a 25k gal pool.

Thankyou. We have a very high rainfall here causing major pool overflow and of course chemical and salt loss. Yes 500lbs certainly sounds like a lot but that amount has consistently given me excellent results over the past decade. Suddenly I'm up to 1200 lbs! Going to get another check.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have a salt reading on my Chlorinator. My levels are from indepenent testing. Will get testing done elsewhere. Thanks

You should be using PoolMath to calculate additions, not just guessing.

According to that, for 25k pool, 1200 pounds has added 5700ppm of salt. That is chemistry, not guessing. So, yeah, it is way too high.
500 pounds adds about 2400ppm of salt.

Every season I have my water checked for salt ppm by a pool co. and consistently they have recommended approx. 500 lbs of salt. This year my ppm would not come up. In the end it would appear that their equipment was failing or operator error. That's the only thing I can think of. Anyway on a retest with different co. my ppm is way over 5500. The co. is coming over to assess. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support