umbrellas

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
someone mentioned to me that they only get umbrellas at one particular store (i can't remember where-i thought it was paddock pools). I'll ask and post it. they said they're the only umbrellas that hold up. has anyone here found that umbrellas from certain stores did/didn't hold up better? tips on certain things to look for... Some umbrellas really do seem to be made with very cheap plastic. for the baja, no metal, ofcourse and considering height. we have a 6" baja step and it is 6 feet away from a fence and 3 1/2 feet away from coping, which is our walking path, so i want it high enough to walk under and may just get a smaller one for the baja shelf so that noone has to walk under it. we might also get a couple of other umbrellas.

people in phoenix talk about not wanting to swim in the heat of the day but that's when i want to swim. my only deterent is the sun. i might look into a shade cloth that i can put across the pool. everything is backwards in our backyard as far as how i'd like elevation, direction of sun... The sun is hitting our main sitting area the whole afternoon, so i will also be looking for umbrellas that tilt.

any other tip would be great at we should finally be swimming this week and I need to get busy getting furniture, pool toys, and umbrellas! thanks!

I was looking at umbrellas from patio stores they were outrageously expensive.

I found one at sears of all places for about 300 bucks. The base was not going to be heavy enough to really hold it w/ some of the winds we get so I filled the base w/ sand and buried the whole thing a foot under ground. going on 4 years and it is still going strong.

It tilts and in the evenings will shade almost a whole half of the pool.

Here is the link. Again the base is really not heavy enough but this thing has gone through the gamut given Texas crazy weather over the last few years.
http://www.sears.com/garden-oasis-11.5-ft-steel-round-offset-umbrella/p-07183925000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=07183925000&pla=&kispla=07183925000P&mktRedirect=y

I have the same concern as you regarding wanting to find durable umbrellas. So while I'm still deciding what type to get for my sun shelf and the areas around my pool, I bought 3 "cheap" 9' umbrellas from Academy Sports for $30 each. They look pretty good, and they are surprisingly durable (so far). I haven't noticed any corrosion from my saltwater pool, so the materials of construction are pretty good too.

If they last all season, I'll be happy to buy new ones next year for $90 total!

We have one from Lowes and one from Target. Both were pretty cheap, like under 50 bucks. The Lowes umbrella is 3 years old and in better shape than the umbrella from Target that is 2 years old and starting to deteriorate. Both sit in a holder with a 50ish lb granite slab from Lowes that are holding up great.

The trick is not to leave them out. We always get the 50-60 dollar ones at sams club and we just close them up and lay them up agaisnt the wall in our patio out of the sun when done. if you don't leave them out in the sun, they will last a while

I have 2 from Sam's from last year and doing great but the key is fabric like Sunbrella that is designed and coated for the sun exposure here. The other thing is now that we are close the monsoon getting active is securing and lowering your umbrellas otherwise they will be like Mary Poppins
images
and end up down the street or they will be like this:
hqdefault.jpg

Here are mine:
20150329_161249-M.jpg

here are the pictures for my umbrella, I did not use the base that came with it, I drilled the 4 holes in the concrete and used 3/8 x 5 inch concrete screws from lowes to install, they are rated at 5000 pounds strength in 4 inch of concrete..

the wind does grab it and move it around, I think they designed it to move like this but anything over 10 mph I drop it down...

this bolt holds it on the post, it can be removed for the winter, but it leaves a foot high post connected...
ZnFmXs1h.jpg

usAX9Ykh.jpg

a2Zl1RIh.jpg

the umbrella pole is 9 foot high installed this way
OpFD6OZh.jpg

the umbrella itself is about 6.6 to 6.9 foot deployed like this.
LJynqoFh.jpg

Iphrhiqh.jpg

Iphrhiqh.jpg

when its like this the top is about 14 feet high
CgPRVzhh.jpg

Peuynvhh.jpg

DmZ4bJjh.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
wow, what great ideas! we're a bit limited due to not wanting to block the view of the mountain and small spaces on either sides of the pool, but i'm going to use some of these ideas, and remember about Mary Poppins. :)
i'm wondering for our situation, would a sunsail work over the bulk of the pool for lots of shade. has anyone tried sunsails over the pool? installed they are crazy $, like 1/2 of the cost of the pool. then there's costco, a different quality. i think we have a sunsail place in Phoenix.

In same boat, needing to create instant shade while gazebo is being built and won't be able to extend patio until next year. Between in pool and decking we have 14 umbrella holders, thinking we're going to get 7 that way people can rotate them to wherever they need to create shade. So far best deal I've found is Academy.

We have the 10' round version of cowboycaseys umbrella from Garden Treasures (with the sand base). Expensive, yes (although we got it at the end of the season for about 40% off), but well worth it. Extremely durable, 360-degree rotation and lots of flexibility re:tilt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.