Fire ants destroyed my pool motor

Oct 17, 2011
Denton, TX
Fascinated to find the cause of a pump motor failure over the weekend.
As of late, it had been making a funny sort f metal on metal noise when running.

It started tripping the breaker.
I went out of town and decided to deal with it when I got back.

I came home and reset the breaker and turned it on.
It ran and sounded worse than ever, smoke started coming out of it then a popping sound and you could smell that electrical fire smell.

I bought a new motor which is working swimmingly (I bet I am the first person ever to use that pun here :) )
I opened the old motor and it was packed with dirt and 1000s of dead fire ants.

The guy that sold the motor to me said he has heard of that happening before.

So just an FYI. I didn't know this would even be possible. I am going to keep some of those granuals around the perimeter of the pumping station moving forward.

As Texans, we know full-well the destructive capability of those little monsters. It's bad enough when I get bit by them (usually by more than one, but I also have to try to keep them away from my septic tank, landscape lighting, shed, or anything else they tend to call home. I feel your pain. :grrrr:

Oh wow. I've had a few mounds of fire ants build in the yard through the years but they don't get to live rent free for long! I have an issue with regular ants in the yard as well... Texas Splash what do you do to try to keep them away?

Sent using Tapatalk

I always keep a bag of Amdro, Ortho, or some other granule fire ant killer around. On-line there are several home-made batches of stuff people try, but in the end ... it's nature. Those soldiers come right back - especially after a heavy rain drives them up from the soil. I just try to keep some pesticide near/around the items that I've learned over the years they like to hide in. They LOVE my Malibu Landscape lights. It's amazing how quick they get into those fixtures.

Those are some amazing pics of the water level. As for the ants, it is their uncanny ability to hold-off biting until there are a minimum of 10 soldiers in position. Then they sound the alarm and all bite me at the same time. Then my neighbors see me hopping around the yard like an idiot swatting at my leg.

If I could ship all the fire ants and yellow jacket wasps to one planet far, far away, I'd be at peace.

Amazing photos! Thanks for sharing! What a switch from last year..

I mow the yard with a bag Ortho or Amdro on the mower deck and sprinkle as I go. Inside the pool fence I just toss it around the equipment weekly. I knew to do this because the little buggers got into my septic pump a few years ago.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.