Filter question

Jun 20, 2009
Middle Tennessee
I just replaced my old waterway filter and pump with a new Hayward set and hard plumbed it with PVC. I am having something happen now that also happened with my old filter and pump. At first, the return is going strong but after a few hours the return slows way down. The pressure on the gauge goes down after I backwash it a minute and then rinse and the water from the return goes back to what it was. Any ideas? Thanks.

If this is the sequence:

Normal pressure, good flow> Higher pressure, low flow> backwash> normal pressure, good flow> Higher pressure, low flow> backwash> normal pressure, good flow> Higher pressure, low flow> backwash> normal pressure, good flow...

That's normal. It means the filter is clogging with debris. That's what it's supposed to do. If it's something other than what I describe, please lay it out in sequence with pressure and flow.

If the pool is cloudy or green, that means algae, and no matter how much you filter out, more will grow to replace it and give you a neverending supply and endless filter clogging.

It is exactly as you describe it. So no real worries then? I can see the bottom and it isn't green but it was nasty to begin with this spring. The pump broke last year and everything basically just sat most of last summer and winter. The frogs LOVED it! Got it mostly clear with a new pump except for this gross white stuff that started floating on top. I couldn't decide if it was mass frog eggs or slime mold but it looked like a T-Rex sneezed on my pool. It rained really hard and it had no filtration while I replaced the equipment and the snot finally went away. The old pump and filter got to where it would only last for 5-10 minutes at a good flow before it would need to be backwashed so that is why I got a new set. I knew if I got in there to change the sand, and something was broken, It would set again while I waited on new equipment and I didn't want that. Thank you soon much for responding so quickly. You have relieved my mind and I can quick freaking out now!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.