Asking for help on how to clear pool water

Hi All,

This is my second question as a 25,000 gallon pool owner, the first was regarding my pool setup, specifically how to remove water from the pool (turns out the handle to the ball valve had been broken off).

Now, I'm asking for help on how to get the pool looking nice and clear. The prior owners to the house (we moved in this past fall) had the pool looking in slightly better shape than us, so I know it's possible! I've seen posts on here recommending a home testing kit, but as we are brand new we've been taking water samples to a nearby store for testing and assistance. It'd been a month since the pool was opened and now we're getting anxious to be back in it, so I'm looking for additional insight/opinions, etc.

So, I've listed below the water tests which we've done, along with what was recommended to improve the situation at each water test. As we're new, we did what was recommended to us. The pool has seen some improvement, but now is in a state where we can see the shallow end, part of the middle and none of the deep end due to the cloudy nature of the water.

Over the past month we have used vacuum fairly frequently and cleaned the cartridge filter twice (once being two days ago, the second being a week before that).

Pool Opened - May 27
Heater turned on - May 29

We don't have an automatic chlorinator, so we stuck two pucks in a floating dispenser in the pool.

First water test June 6 after the pool had turned on us
Free Chlorine - 0.02 ppm
Total Chlorine - 0.22 ppm
Combined Chlorine - 0.2 ppm
pH - 8
Hardness - 85 ppm
Alkalinity - 65 ppm
Cyanuric Acid - 1 ppm
Copper - 0.1 ppm
Iron - 0.4 ppm

Steps taken - Shock pool, Algaecide, liquid chlorine.

Second water test June 11
Free Chlorine - 0.04 ppm
Total Chlorine - 0.15 ppm
Combined Chlorine - 0.11 ppm
pH - 7.8
Hardness - 87 ppm
Alkalinity - 67 ppm
Cyanuric Acid - 1 ppm
Copper - 0.1 ppm
Iron - 0.6 ppm
Borate - 2 ppm
Phosphate - 100 ppb

Steps taken - a jug of stabilizer, 24 hours later a jug of liquid chlorine.

Third water test June 13
Free Chlorine - 0.73 ppm
Total Chlorine - 1.18 ppm
Combined Chlorine - 0.45 ppm
pH - 7.8
Hardness - 89 ppm
Alkalinity - 87 ppm
Cyanuric Acid - 1 ppm
Copper - 0 ppm
Iron - 0.1 ppm
Borate - 3 ppm
Phosphate - 100 ppb

Steps taken - a jug of alkalinity increaser, a jug of calcium hardness increaser, two tubs of borate

Fourth water test June 18
Free Chlorine - 0.05 ppm
Total Chlorine - 0.36 ppm
Combined Chlorine - 0.31 ppm
pH - 8.1
Hardness - 120 ppm
Alkalinity - 105 ppm
Cyanuric Acid - 2 ppm
Copper - 0 ppm
Iron - 0.2 ppm
Borate - 13 ppm
Phosphate - 100 ppb

Steps taken - a jug of alkalinity increaser, a jug of calcium hardness increaser, fill up floating chlorine dispenser with pucks - something like 5 or 6 in total

That's where we are now and more than happy to hear anyone's thoughts/opinions/suggestions/etc.

Thanks to all in advance!

Welcome (again) to TFP. Well, let's help by addressing a few basic TFP fundementals:

Golden rule - Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Do not add anything to your pool other than what is advocated by the TFP site or its experts. You’ll have a happier pool, spend less time maintaining your pool, and probably save some $$ in the process. The following are short articles from this site that you will see linked in my signature below: Pool School, Recommended Levels (for YOUR pool), PoolMath Calculator, SLAM, and the Chlorine/CYA Chart.

The proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 – link below) is the foundation of your pool care. Why this kit? We've learned through personal experience that you cannot rely on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They simply do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.

Only with your own test results can we really help you accurately. Once you receive either your TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, post the following: FC, CC, CYA, PH, TA, and CH. we'll be glad to assist.

Since your water is already changing, start reading the "SLAM" link below. Also look at the Chlorine/CYA chart below as it will be one of your primary tools in pool care.

Have a great day!

Welcome to TFP!

Please update your location (state/country) and add your pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Getting Started Are you in London, England or London, Kentucky?

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net.

When you get it give us some test results and get ready to SLAM Your Pool.

We have no trust in pool store tests or test strips. Might as well stick a finger in the pool and hold it up to the wind, the results would be just as inconsistent and save you a trip. :) The only thing worth noting about those test results is that there is virtually no chlorine in the pool every time. It is important to keep the chlorine level above the minimum level for your CYA level at ALL times for your pool to be properly sanitized and algae free. Chlorine CYA Chart

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Hello Cluk,
Belated welcome to TFP.

If you want clear, clean and sanitary pool water, then its up to you to make it that way. The pool store as you mention, obviously is not getting it done.

I would like to ask you to please fill out your profile. You will be asking questions and the type of pool you have, and the pool equipment MATTERS. We cant help without knowing stuff about your pool.

The steps to keeping your pool clean and clear are:
Stop going to the pool store. Dont go back.
Get your own reliable test kit like the rest of us have. The TF100 is the best bang for the buck. TFTestkits.net
Next, read up on the ABCs of of pool water chemistry so you know what FC, CC, pH etc means and which chemical to use to adjust it.
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

If your water is cloudy, you may need to SLAM it, or you may be having precipitation issues. But there is no way to know without reliable tests.
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

After you have a test kit, and have dealt with the cloudiness, then if you keep your pool in the recommended levels range, then you will be home free.
Pool School - Recommended Levels

The appropriate chlorine level depends on the CYA level, here is a chart for handy reference.
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

And so how do we know how much of something to add if the water parmaeters are off? Well, we use a handy little tool called pool math. Easy to use.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

So, there you have it. Its simple. TFPC is a methodology of pool care and we only add into the water what the pool needs. Thats it.

You will find that TFPC and the Pool Store method are not compatible. Our opinion of pool stores is that for the most part (not all), they are scoundrels of the lowest order.

If you choose the TFPC method to care for your pool, you wont regret it. If you choose the pool store method, you and your wallet will both regret it.

Just for fun I googled how many states have a city named London. I thought it would be more but it only appears to be eight. Although, Ohio has two cities named London, that must be confusing. Lots of states have cities named New London.

Geography tangent over. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get the K2006 test kit and order the BIG bottles of R-0871, R-0004, R-0013, also order another R-0870... you're going to need them, and don't want to run out in the middle of a SLAM.

Welcome to TFP.
I miss Ontario... I moved here from Kitchener.
These people will hold your hand, and walk you through what needs to be done to get your pool PERFECT.
As stated already... stay OUT of the pool store, you don't need them.

Pool serviced - any idea what this is?

Hi All,

So while I'm waiting for my test kit, my wife and I decided to get the company that opened our pool to monitor the chemicals and get things back on the right track. They came today while I was at work and placed a bag of something (photo attached) in the deep end.

We tried calling the company, but they said we'd have to wait until tomorrow/next day for the paperwork to be submitted before they tell us what was done to the pool. So this post is me just being impatient and trying to understand what is being done. If anyone is able to provide insight, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMAG0352.jpg
    IMAG0352.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0353.jpg
    IMAG0353.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 30
Re: Pool serviced - any idea what this is?

I would also guess CYA, but until I had MY test kit and determined I needed it I would remove it. You can just keep it in a bucket of water until you determine:

1. What it is

2. Do you really need it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.