Enobrad - General design questions

Jun 21, 2015
Lima, OH
Hi. I'm new here but we are just at the design phase of putting in a pool. So many questions! First, we live in NW Ohio and are worried that we are absolutely crazy for even considering a pool being that we will only be using 4 months out of the year. It's just something we've always wanted so we figure, why not. I should also note that we have two small boys, ages, 3 and 5 and we know they would just love it. I'm curious about what size of pool? We are looking at an L shaped thinking we could have a nice shallow side for volleyball, basketball, etc. and a deep end for diving games. I also wondering how deep? Lastly, what about the types of pools? What are the major differences (besides price) for a vinyl vs. Gunite? Thanks for your opinions.

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

I'll take the "how deep" question. If diving games are expected to be a big part of the kid's activities, I would suggest a deep end depth of 10 feet - minimum. I've seen more diving injuries than any other type - by far - in swimming pools. It may take longer for your pool to warm up in the spring due to the water in the deep end (vs. a shallower pool) but that's a worthy price to pay to avoid potentially serious injuries from diving into a shallow pool of water.