New to the forum and above ground pools

dynamo

Jun 21, 2015
Windsor, ON
Hello all, glad I found this place!
Thanks to whoever is running it and the members for the great info I've already found here, much obliged.

Anyway, we just purchased an Intek 14' x 42" pool kit and I have been reading until my eyes bleed LOL.
In many threads, I have noticed that after clearing sod and first inch or two of topsoil to level the pool area, it is recommended to apply "nutgrass" killer.

I have never heard of this before and do not know if it is native to our area (Windsor, Ontario, Canada).
I have searched images of it and do not recall seeing it in this area.

I searched the Home Depots, Home Hardwares, etc, and cannot find any "nutgrass" or "nut sedge" killer.
Would Round Up or Killex type product suffice?

Also, I am older and although I have read the recommendations to remove the sod and top 1-2 inches of soil, I see many pictures of people erecting the pool directly on grass.
Besides the rotting grass smell, what other "negatives can I expect if I go this route; the yard is fairly level "as is" and it would save a lot of wear and tear on my already run-down heart and back.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hello dynamo and welcome to TFP. I found the following discussion in our forum about weeds:
"Glyphosate (Roundup) eliminates nutsedge fairly well. The problem is that it doesn't persist long and requires repeat applications (no good for pool purposes then). Then, there is halosulfuron. I can't recall the brand name but it is pretty much THE herbicide for nutsedge control. You can get it at agri-supply places. You need to add a surfactant to it but you can pretty much just put it in a pump sprayer and spray the area where the liner will sit. Combining it with MSMA wouldn't be a bad idea either but MSMA is getting hard to find now. There is also atrazine, sold as Image. Also good nutsedge and other grassy weed control but it is really expensive. I would go for the halosulfuron and then use a Gorilla bottom. "

Seems like Gorilla Pads have become quite popular to protect liners. Hope this info helps answer that part of your question. Other AG pool owners may have a thing or two to add about grass removal in general. Have a great day.

I will add that a bigger threat than nutgrass to your pool installation is "fairly level". A really professional installation of an AG pool would have the support poles within 1/4" of one another.

Last edited:
- - - Updated - - -

Yes, make sure you are within 1" of level all the way around. What may look level could end up 5" off by the time the pool is filled.
and indeed that's what happened.
in haste, i put the pool up on the grass and filled it below the skimmer.
it was out about 5", perhaps that's a standard slope in backyards these days?
whatever the case may be, i drained it with 4 garden hoses and started over by leveling a 16' x 16' area.
i added a very small layer of playground sand to cushion the clay that dominates the ground in this part of the province.
i bought 4 pcs of 4"x4"x16' pressure treated for the frame and 16' of deck board that i cut into 14 pcs x 1' long to use for footings.
i used some old tarps we had for cover then filled with 32 bags of rubber mulch.
8 pcs of 12" x 12" patio stones for ladder access.
mom is getting some flowers for the other corners.
this should keep the kids busy for the summer!
thanks again for all of the invaluable information and great site!
i have since added 2' x 2' coloured sponge tiles we had in the basement on top of the patio stones to brighten up the ladder area; here are a few pics prior to that:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2029.jpg
    IMG_2029.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2030.jpg
    IMG_2030.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 92

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
attachment.php

That looks like a nice set up. I built a patio for mine. So when (if) I take the pool down, I have a nice 20x20 patio to enjoy. My back yard slope is so steep, as you can see, I had to build a retaining wall and raise it almost 2'. That's right at 7 yards of fill dirt I had to move in by hand/wheel barrow. 400 12x12 patio pavers.

Attachments

• 20150528_190920.jpg
    20150528_190920.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 88
That looks like a nice set up. I built a patio for mine. So when (if) I take the pool down, I have a nice 20x20 patio to enjoy. My back yard slope is so steep, as you can see, I had to build a retaining wall and raise it almost 2'. That's right at 7 yards of fill dirt I had to move in by hand/wheel barrow. 400 12x12 patio pavers.
thanks for the kind words!
that is a lot of work but the result speaks for itself, aboykin2269...fantastic!
i went with a 16' x 16' dig so when the kids grow a few more years, we can get a deeper and wider pool so less digging.

also, we're thinking "ice rink" (a.k.a. more work for me LOL) in the winter.
i sure wish i could leave it up through the winter!
anyone know why this 14 x 42 Intex needs to be taken down if the temp dips below freezing, besides, of course, that's what the manual says?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.