Sudden Water Loss... HELP!!

Jun 21, 2015
Devon
We have recently moved and are now responsible for an in ground pool. As new pool owners we have had the help of a pool engineer.... but today... Fathers Day here in the UK seems not a good day to contact him!

This morning we have noticed a very sudden loss of water from the pool..... maybe 5 inches overnight. My husband was topping up the pool the day before and left the hose running and the pool became flooded and up over the edge.... could this have caused a problem with the filter/backwash causing it to pump water out of the pool?

Any help or advice most gratefully received.

Dominie :)

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Unless you have some type of Automated Backwash, I wouldn't think that possible, but if you do, it would be unfamiliar to most of us. Is there a chance you mean something else? Assuming this a residential pool, I would think it highly unusual. Filter systems are not typically set up to run, or do anything based on water level. When the pool over filled, did you take action to lower it by a manual back washing of the filter?

could this have caused a problem with the filter/backwash causing it to pump water out of the pool?
I don't see how, unless you inadvertently left the hose in the pool causing a siphon.

By comparison, can you tell me about your water rates in UK? Also, please add UK to your location so we get an idea of your climate for future reference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.