New Pool owner new 2 chemicals

Jun 20, 2015
Paradise, CA
SOOO I bought a new pool. of coarse the first place I went was a pool store who sold me a butt load of stuff. I was just cruising around online when I stumbled onto this site. I want to do the bbb method. so my question is do I just stop using all the chemicals they sold me? I only have the small test kit that tests for PH, Br and CH. I ordered the taylor k2006 kit on amazon so I am waiting for it to arrive. But in the mean time should I keep adding their chemicals until I can get my new test kit? I checked the levels today and the PH read 7.2 and the Ch read super low actually the color barely changed at all and I just put 4 oz of chlorbrite in it the night before. I want it to be safe until I get the new kit so I am really unsure of what to do.:confused:

All I would do at this point is try to keep some chlorine in the pool. If you haven't added any stabilizer/conditioner, then just keep chlorine between 1 and 4 ppm. Never let it drop below 1ppm. If you have added conditioner/stabilizer, use the Pool Math calculator to determine how much CYA you probably have and use the FC/CYA Chart to determine the ppm of chlorine to maintain.

- - - Updated - - -

Also read through the pool school articles once at least, and multiple times for articles that cover chemicals.

Woody.... It looks to me like they were referring to chlorine (FC) as CH (calcium hardness)

Brandkins... Don't raise your chlorine to 50. ;-)

I would second what daniel said.

If you could list exactly which chemicals you've added so far and how much, someone may be able to help you determine if you have cya and how much.

Only use liquid chlorine (aka bleach) for now because any solid forms of chlorine (powders & pucks) are going to have extra ingredients that you may or may not want and you have no way of testing that until your kit comes in.

When is the kit being delivered? :)

OH YES I was talking about FC sorry for the confusion.
okay so when I bought the pool and set it up I went to leslies. (it has only been up for 1 week today). they gave me and i put in alkalinity up-4lbs 12 oz, Hardness plus 12lbs 12 oz.(which I found out I didnt need) Perfect Weekly 2 1/2 caps 1x in skimmer. I am supposed to keep putting in the perfect weekly every week but obviously I'm not doing that. and chlor brite. at first i put it in and it stayed at 2 (cl on the test) for a couple of days. now it is completely gone by the end of the next day so i have been putting in 4 oz everynight. but it still drops below .5 by the next day. My initial tests before i Put anything in were as follows. FAC-0, TAC-0, CH-40, CYA-30, TA-40, PH-7.4, copper-0, Iron-0 TDS-100, PHO-500. after adding everything I went back just last tuesday and they checked my water and said everything was on point. I only have the small kit so all I know is i'm putting in chlorbrite daily but it just seems to deplete so quickly and my PH has gone down to 7.2. I have some bleach in the garage should I put it in?

Chlor brite is dichlor, according to Pool School - PoolMath each ounce added to your pool will raise chlorine 0.9 ppm and cya 0.8 ppm. So, you can add 2 ounces every time FC drops to 1 until your test kit arrives. Keep track of how much you add so you will know the amount of CYA added to the pool.

And welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

Here are some articles from Pool School to get you started
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Pool School - PoolMath

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.